Everything hurts! Is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis yesterday. Second time. The first time the pain was in the lower left quadrant of my abdomen. I could touch the exact spot. This time, however, there's pain and pressure in my entire abdominal area and even up into my stomach. It all even hurts with every step I take. Normal or not?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you are having a nasty flare this time.  I've had flares with multiple hot spots and a the beginning it can seem like it's all over.  It also hurt with bending, stretching and lifting, so I guess it also hurts with walking.  I hope you've got antibiotics and are sticking to a fluid only diet for the time being to rest your insides.  Also plenty of rest and pain killers.  Hope you start to improve soon.

• Posted

That's what has me confused. They said it's MILD diverticulitis. No fever. Normal WBC. I wouldn't have even expected much discomfort if it's mild. :-(

• Posted

Well, if there's no fever and normal WBC it does not sound like infection yet, just inflammation.  Clearly "they" don't suffer with DD and think anything short of a blockage or perforation is "mild".  I do recall my nurse cousin saying she only really appreciated what her patients went through when she became seriously ill herself.  But I would still stick to the liquid only diet and rest as much as possible.  Sometimes that will stop it developing into a full attack.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi,

Yes it's quite normal to have the pain all over. My first time before it was diagnosed 4 yrs ago was low on left low down since then have had 3 flare ups each with the pain being all over the place. Also it does hurt when you walk and also when you bear down on toilet. I am just over a flare up ( not a bad one) and started immediately on a very bland diet (no fibre during flare up) Feeling much better now (had a normal bowel movement today) and going to start introducing a more normal diet. I often get bloody mucus too and being a worrier that also freaks me out!!! Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I was diagnosed thru a CT scan with contrast. Report said "There is mild inflammatory change seen surrounding a diverticulum in the distal Sigmoid colon." I'm taking mega doses of Augmentin for 14 days. Isn't that a bit overkill?

• Posted

The DR must think you need it are you in the UK In the U.K. the Drs are very careful what they give you I have decided to see a nutritionist to help me sort out my DD and IBS hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

No! If you don't get the infection taken care if it will repeat sooner than later. Take it all!

• Posted

No, I'm in the U.S Some Doctors encourage antibiotics and some do not. The Emergency Room Dr. Is the one who prescribed them. I'm just not sure why I'm taking an antibiotic if I have inflammation, not infection.

• Posted

Hi

I live in UK and before being diagnosed with DD ( hadn't even heard of diverticulitis!) I was in Sarasota Florida on holiday when I had terrible low tummy pain all day I thought it was something J had eaten. In the evening J really tried hard to pass a motion and passed a blood clot and a little blood which stopped immediately. It freaked me out and my husband drove me straight to ER. Funnily enough after passing the clot the pains went completely.They checked me over thoroughly but we're unsure if the problem and advised a colonoscopy. As we were going home Ina few days I decided to wait until I got back to U.K. It was advised to have a bland diet. The symptoms settled and I was booked in for a colonoscopy once I got home. That's when DD was diagnosed. My consultant said it had healed itself. At no point did I have antibiotics even though I had passed a blood clot! I am proof you can get over a bad attack without antibiotics but think I was very lucky that it healed by itself. I now always take antibiotics to America just in case!!

• Posted

I had never heard of it before I got diagnosed. Since then it has taken over my life but I have decided to just get on with it and not let it control me
    • Posted

I think that's exactly what you should do Susan. Do NOT let it control your life. Just eat as sensible as you can and remember we all have bad diet days!! If we gave a flare up we will deal with it then! Have fun!

• Posted

I am wondering though, what the benefit of antibiotics is if I have inflammation, with no sign of infection?
    • Posted

Well, interesting question, and I've just learned something!

Amy Chai, MD, Internal Medicine, MS Epidemiology

Answered Aug 30, 2016.  Infection is the invasion of a foreign pathogen such as a virus, a bacterium, or a fungus. The infection is the organism that is not typically present inside the healthy body.

Inflammation is the body’s response to a pathogen or an invader, aka, our immune response. The body sends white blood cells (pus) to fight off the infection, and chemicals are released that cause swelling, redness, and warmth.

Sometimes inflammation happens when there is no foreign pathogen present. This happens in what is known as “auto-immune” diseases, where the body mounts an inflammatory response against itself.

So, I would guess you either have had an infection, hence you need antibiotics, or like me your autoimmune system doesn't work as well as it should.  I was told about mine 5 years ago after a routine test, and it perfectly explained to me why it has always taken me much longer to get over anything than my friends.  I'm also allergic to a lot of the antibiotics or they simply don't work, (unless you count side effects!!).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.