Everything just came back, Anxiety, panic etc.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone, maybe someone can shed some light on this.

So I had been on Celexa for about 1 month and a half and i had seen and been through the worst of the side effects the first week of being on it, they soon went completely away, I wasn't feeling not too much anxiety and panic was minimal, BUT then as of a week ago, all these symptoms came back and were feeling panic and anxiety quite vigorously. I just found it very odd and that they came back out of no where, nothing's changed in my life as far as being exposed to different situations and such..

I was just wondering if anybody else has gone through this too?

Thank You!!!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds familiar. Shortly after starting 20 mg Citalopram (Celexa) the anxiety symptoms all but disappeared.  But in the fourth week of starting the drug - which is right at the moment - back they came in the form of the horrid side effect (nausea, dry mouth, sweating, etc). I've been encouraged by the respondents to my discussion and the message seems to be : keep going with the meds., accept the ups and downs, and things will gradually change for the better. The time scale for each individual can be pretty 

variable - so try not to despair - we're all in this together.

Warm thoughts,

Donald.

• Posted

Yep - that's perfectly normal.  Throughout recovery the anxiety will come and go (blips).  You'll get many of them over the months, but just let them and don't fight them cos you can't stop them.  A necessary part of recovery.  They'll slowly ease and eventually stop coming.

K x

• Posted

I see, I thought that it was something wrong, like the medicine was having a rebound. Thank You so much!
    • Posted

Everyone thinks that, but it actually shows just the opposite - that the meds are working.  Its annoying to have the blips and sometimes it can feel like you're back at the beginning, but just let them be there and they will pass.

You'll get there.

K x

• Posted

I forgot to add that I stopped taking them for the past 3 days because I got scared, I know I probably shouldn't have gotten off them without consulting my doctor first but I was honestly worried some thing might've been wrong. Would it be wise to start taking it again now? Or should ask my doctor first?

• Posted

I'm sure it would be ok to restart as you've only stopped for a few days, but its always best to check in with your doctor too.  You can't actually just stop taking these meds either because you'll feel quite ill.  These meds have to be weaned off.

K x

• Posted

Ive had two days that felt more miserable than the previous few weeks. Usually ny afternoons are ok but the last two habe been miserable. Could this be a blip even though they arent working properly yet?
    • Posted

Yes it can get you like that - some days or weeks will feel much worse than previous ones.  The meds are working properly - it just takes a long time for everything to settle down.  Most people start seeing changes around 3-4 months, and up til then there's often nothing to see .... some people see it sooner.

Even after you start recovering you'll still get those blips, but they will get easier.  Sometimes when you think things are just getting too bad and you can't take it anymore, suddenly you start seeing the changes.

Weird medicine wink

• Posted

Thanks kate. Is it too early to see some improvement in 30mg after a week do you think? Im really worried the meds have juust stopped.
    • Posted

Yes too early.  Each time you increase meds too you'll get side effects again.  Each dose needs time to settle.

No the meds haven't stopped working.  However bad you might feel, you just need to carry on.  Perseverance really does pay.

K x

• Posted

Kate. Thank u again. You are an inspiration to us. Is feeling miserable a side effect though? I felt tired for 4 days then that seemed to ease. Now i just feel miserable.
    • Posted

Yes it is.  Depression is a side effect ...... I had it when I restarted these meds and it was quite annoying.  Tiredness too.

Understanding all the side effects of anxiety can help - try and go with it all, remember you're not well at the moment (just like having a huge dose of he flu), and that when the anxiety starts calming down all these other symptoms will go too.

It will pass.  I remember how miserable it feels.  At the moment you won't be able to see 'the wood for the trees' but honeslty, it is there.

K x

• Posted

Thank u. Any tips on how to battle thru these blips? I never had depression really..only anxiety...so i dont like it much!
    • Posted

Hi

Sorry, bit behind with posts.

Getting through blips.  I found the best thing is to keep busy, but in small doses.  I know tiredness and lack of enthusiasm hampers us, but even if you feel like you have no enthusiasm for doing something, do it anyway ....... but gently.  Treat yourself the same as if you had a bad dose of flu.  Also relaxing ..... not just sitting down relaxing, but whilst you're doing whatever you're doing.  Often we unwittingly tense our jaw, stomaches etc ... hold ourselves rigidly without realising, so learning to release this tension (especially our middle) and carry on with whatever needs doing actually slowly gives the body the message to calm down.  This doesn't happen overnight or the next day, but over time it slowly desensitises the body.  When we have anxiety the body is sensitised (over sensitive, so feels everything acutely), so densensitising means bringing the body back to a normal level.  Tensing the body means you're fighting the anxiety by bracing yourself against it, and releasing the tensions means you're going with the flow / the punches.  Also by doing things you have to enthusiasm for means you're going into the anxiety instead of avoiding it ......... it has to be done in a relaxed manner though.

I used to move around relaxed, refused to rush anywhere (rushing causes tension) and even drove slower than normal (stuck to the inside lane).  Listening to calm music in the car helped too (no loud heavy beat music).  

The web link explains it in more detail.

I also found going out every day for a walk was nice (even though I didn't feel the joy of it).  Being outside in the fresh air, amongst nature felt refreshing ..... I especially did this when I had a long spell of feeling completely flat (depression) when I restarted the meds.

Exercise is good as it helps release endorphins, our feel good hormones, and it also burn any excess adrenaline (anxiety).

Eating well is essential, avoiding too much sugar, and also quality sleep (if you can, though know many suffer insomnia).

I also used to remind myself that the blip was temporary and a necessary part of recovery and it would pass.  I didn't 'feel' that sentence in my heart, but said it anyway.

All this helps calm you down over time which helps towards recovery too.  It helps the blip pass too.  Worse thing is to tense against it, as that's fighting it.  You just need to do the opposite - go with it.

I found the depression annoying.  I only had it the second time I started meds - didn't have it the first time.  But when I had it I just remember it dragged on for ages.  I'd tell myself it was normal and it would go.  Eventually it did start to lift.

K x

• Posted

Hey Kate,

going through the same thing you did at the moment after increasing from 20 to 30mg. However, anxiety has lifted (although it's still bubbling) and feeling peeks of myself again!

Feel so flat sometimes! Good to know that it will pass and just need patience. A lot less depressed than I have been the past few weeks, but still not laughing or joking quite as hard as I used to, or as quick! But know it will come!

Feel like you must have been born to encourage Kate!

Thanks for all your lovely posts

Louise xoxo

• Posted

Hi Louise

Yes the anxiety starts to lift, and I remember that feeling too like it was still bubbling in the background as if trying to erupt, but that does go as the anxiety calms further still.

The depression lifts slowly too.  Everything happens so slowly and little by little you begin to notice changes.  Its great seeing those glimpses of yourself - they grow over time too.

I suffered for 16 years and went round in circles trying to find an answer.  Never thought I'd recover from it.

Anxiety is so vastly underestimated by those who don't suffer from it.

Just trying to pass 'it on' wink

K xx

• Posted

I feel the same right now - but i feel small "bubbles" of feeling better - then the anxiety hits me again - then bubbles of "normal" (or at least somewhere near it) then anxiety again. Peaks and troughs like a rollercoaster

It doesn't help at the moment that i am tired from having little sleep due to my daughter suffering from a cold....i cant wait to nap this afternoon to be honest.

• Posted

Yeah you are right - busy in small doses- because trying to do too much is hard and it makes you feel like a failure (it does me anyway)

i've been swimming a couple of times which is ok - but the beta blockers make it hard work.

Yes the depression / down times are not pleasant - quite frightening to be honest. 

When should i start seeing more glimmers of improvement on 30mg?realistically?

Thanks again.

• Posted

Yes definitely not good trying to do too much, too soon ....... but still try and do things even when you don't feel like it, and relax when doing it.  Small doses wink

Do beta blockers make you tired?  I've never taken them.  Swimming is a good all-rounder and good on the joints too.  I always sneeze loads after I've finished swimming ..... eek

Some people notice changes around 3 months, but everyone is so different so it could be before then or even later.

K x

• Posted

No the beta blockers dont make me tired during the day but i take one before i sleep so i guess my heart rate slowing does helk me sleep.

Yeah swimming is all i can do at the moment...and the jacuzzi is good.

Ive had two fairly good days now so hopefully things are happening.

• Posted

That's good if they help you sleep - helps with the healing too.

I like swimming.  Usually go every week ...... alas no jacuzzi though sad

Hey that's brilliant having some good days!!!  Yes, definitely sounds like things are happening.

K x

• Posted

Louise...how are you now? I'm still suffering with ups and downs..and in thr last day or so ive had pangs of anxiety again..

Not enjoying this tbh.

• Posted

Kate i saved this page and re-read it every time im having a bad day. Right now i am having one. This is my 4th week of 30mg and altho the 'permanent' anxiety has subsided im still getting times where it returns...and im also completely unmotivated a lot of the time.

Im really worried this is going to be permanent but i seem to have lost my zest and enthusiasm for nearly everything.

I know everyone is different and it might still be early days but i feel crap atm.

Looking for inspiration!

• Posted

Hi MediumNeil

Those low times do test our patience don't they ....... 

Glad the persistent anxiety has subsided - and yes it will return from time to time ..... all this shows the meds are working and you're in the middle of recovering.  Recovery means that all symptoms very slowly ease, bit by bit, and can feel strange at times.  I remember the anxiety not being there but my body went through the motions as if I still had it, and the second time I was on the meds I had such a long, long spell of feeling unmotivated, flat, nothing and felt tetchy too.  I'd easily fire off at people, which was unlike me.  This did pass.

I suspect you've got to this 'no-mans' land - it was something that lasted many months for me.  I'd sigh a lot too, as if I couldn't catch my breath properly.  I got out of the house most days for a walk or cycle - I found being outside was just nice, though it didn't relieve my flatness.  This did wear off over time but do remember it seemed endless.

Exercise is good as it releases endorphins, helping to make you feel good, and eating well helps too ..... all this whilst you wait.

It will pass ...... treat it like a broken leg.  The pain passes and then you have to wait for the stiffness and inflamation to heal and then become mobile again.

K x

• Posted

Thanks again for the reply...yes it does feel like a 'no mans land' i feel quite alone and not very optimistic tbh.

I dont want to be sad...im so worried (even tho people tell me otherwise) that the drugs arent going to lift me out of this wallowing self pity i seem to be in.

Motivation is at an all time low and nothing makes be happy. My sense of humour has also vanished.

I need to get out of this.

Thanks again for ur kind words

• Posted

Depression does that to you - zaps you of all joy, motivation, energy and anything else.  Its a horrible place to be I know .... it feels like there's this 'thing' between you and life.  Whatever I did I had this flat feeling between me and enjoyment - no satisfaction reading a book, no cosy feeling laying in bed or watching TV - absolutely nothing.  

I know doing things, going out, sociailising, exercising won't lift you in an instant, but don't stop doing those things.  Even if you don't feel like doing something, do it anyway.  When my son was ill and was waiting for the meds to kick in, I got him started in music lessons and went with him at first.  He just went through the motions and did what was needed and eventually went without me when he was settled.  Over the months he became engrossed in it and I saw him change.  This helped him whilst the meds began to take effect.  He recovered after many months and 2 years later performs music with the drum troupe to audiences.  For me when I was ill with anxiety all those years ago I started dance classes.  I found I started to become 'lost' in the music and movement and began to notice after time that I actually forgot to think of 'it' for a whole class.  I continued and even after I recovered I became more involved ..... and today I'm a dance teacher and still find the joy of music and movement an absolutely thrill.

Music is a great healer and many therapists use it too.

Not saying music is for everyone mind, and it doesn't fix the problem I know - but sometimes finding something new can become absorbing and helps the process along.

I imagine motivation will return if you start the ball rolling?

The meds will start to help you heal xx

• Posted

I think u r right...motivation may return if i throw myself into stuff to provide distraction. I will try that. I need to stop feeling bored and push through it. I just hope it works and this phases passes quicker.

• Posted

A bit like a friend of mine who, on a totally different matter, lost about 3 stone in weight then put it back on plus more over time. She said for ages she wasn't in the right frame of mind and had lost motivation to restart so I suggested she start and that motivation would return. She did restart and it did return.

• Posted

Hey Neil, sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on for a few days as have been feeling better.

Had a few stressful things happen the past few days that have knocked me a bit- but just chugging along.

Have to say I'm definitely seeing more of myself come out- which is really nice.

But again today feeling as Kate puts it... quite 'no mans landish', however when I look back at where I started I can see progress, although I'm not 100% Lou yet - am getting there.

Sorry you've been feelin rough- the problem is it's such an up and down process.

It's funny cos I sprained my ankle about a month ago and although it's pretty much healed now- I still get the odd twinge every now and then and it'll be like that till it's like how it was before. Or if I knock it on something- I'll feel pain till it's fully recovered and it's the same with us. Just gotta be patient I spose, although it's difficult

Louise xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.