Everything was going fine until.....

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 3wks and 3days on from my tkr. I've done my exercises, ice and rest just as I should and my physio assured me I'm doing fine with good ROM. But on Friday evening I tried to stand up and could hardly put my foot on the ground. The pain is still there on the outside of my knee joint. I'm hoping to get in touch with my physio tomorrow, but in the meantime - any advice? ShallI I rest or exercise or just panic?!

Thanks in advance.

Anna x

0 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rest, ice, elevate and increase your fluid intake substantially. One other question as we are going into change of seasons, are you experiencing barometer swings. Dampness, cold weather upcoming storms all can play neck with the joints, especially one they has been damaged by surgery or accidents.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Anna,

what your experiencing is so very normal. It certainly takes a while to feel less and less pain. I am 6 mos now and I am moving in the right direction. Just do what you are doing and, I have learned to be patient. I still feel pain occasionally in the kneecap and stiffness -

Good luck in your recovery.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Barbara,

It's just the Friday morning I was fine and then a few hours later, I wasn't! Strange. But I'll rest and see what the physio suggests in the morning. Thanks for replying.

X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

With that kind of pain, your body is telling you to rest. Since you're going to physiological tomorrow, take the day off and pamper your body.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks. Yes, I'll rest. But everything was going so well. Last year I had a THR and 7 weeks later fractured my trochanter. But this wasn't spotted until 7 months later. Was told at A and E that it was muscle damage. So I have this fear of something similar happening!

X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would try to do light exercises to see if you can help reduce the pain by getting the muscles to do some work. I would keep it elevated and ice it as much as possible and by all means maintain your needs to help with the pain. Three weeks is very early on in the recovery process so keep in touch with the surgeon to review your issues.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks all for your advice. Thankfully my knee feels a little easier and I've had a chat with my physio. She says rest and ice for a couple of days and then a trip up to the physio department on Wednesday. What would we do without these forums?! X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

great!  good luck!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Have just come home after seeing a physio.

Apparently it's my hamstring that's causing the pain. So even more exercises and ice!

Not today though, as feel as if I've been put on the rack and stretched! Patience now, I guess!

Anna x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up