Excess gas and palpitations post GB removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi,

I had my gall bladder out 6 months ago, stomach was absolutely fine for 5 months, then I lost a stressful contract and ended up taking heavy antibiotics for an ear infection (DR gave me tablets not drops which I changed after 2 weeks), anyway, since then I have had two episodes of extreme gas with belching relentlessly, gas pains too. The bit that freaks me out is I usually get palpitations and 'weird' feelings in my chest, borderline panic attack? I also have a hiatus hernia which might be aggravating the whole setup. Deflatine eases the whole thing but its the chest 'weirdness' that freaks me out. I had a 24 hour ECG about a month after the GB removal as I had palpitations back then too, apparently all clear but Im slightly worried I have a very intermittent Atrial Fibrillation

I guess the central thing to all these symptoms are huge excelss gas, hiatus hernia and palpitations.

Anyone got any thoughts? 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brig,

Sorry to hear you are having probs. I cannot help re post surgery as I still have my badly behaving GB and hiatus hernia, but I have all the palpitations, tachycardia, blaoting and gas and weird feelings going on. I am struggling to sleep due to these and have had A & E trips and paramedics as thought was having heart attack for sure. Turned out to be due to very low blood sugar though not diabetic?? I feel my probs increased after having triple therapy with strong antibiotics for H Pylori early last year, so maybe there is an antibiotic connection. Also had heaps of stress last year. Don't know if this info is of any help but I am looking for answers as well as I am at the end of my tether as you must be. Hope we get some answers soon, take care.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply its good to know Im not a lone suffer! Ive been told by a few doctors that this is largely stress related and I tend to agree with them, Im currently out of work so theres a lot of under currents of worry ... but heck it is a giant pain in the **** as its intefering with my job hunting and confidence , a vicious circle for sure....

anyway, I hope things get better for you, as I said in my oroginal post my whole digestive system was so much better after the GB removal, beforehand it was hell so I am glad I had it removed, mayeb its time you considered that too? 

• Posted

Yep, I am in the system but things have moved very slowly and still are regarding getting GB out - long waiting list where I live. Like you I am having these symptoms that have prevented me finding a new job after I was made redundant a couple of months back. Your life gets put on hold totally. It is indeed frustrating and scary having these symptoms. Do keep posting as to how you get on and stay positive (easier said than done!).
  • Posted

HI brig99,

i havent had my gallbladder out yet im on the waiting list gut i also get lots of painful gas and constant belching due to gallstones but as you have had yours removed i wouldent of thought you would still be getting it .have you had a endoscopy to check your bile ducts? also i have intermittant Atrial Fibrillation which was found by accident when i went in for pre op assesment dident even know i had it only happened a few times since. That was a year ago now so you could have it .i brought myself a meter to take my pulse and oxygen levels from boots about £25 they cant give me medication ie beta blockers because its not doing it all the time .im on anticoagalants (blood thiners) to reduce risk of stroke when it does do it . normally it doesent last long but ive noticed it is brought on when im stressed . if you feel like that again get your pulse checked mine was 160 when they found it then went back to 80 within a few miniutes .but because i have AF i cant have op as a day case got to be admitted or i think i would have had it done already they said jan or feb but still waiting .told them im available at short notice . keep us posted linda

• Posted

wow that is alot of informaion that may help someone wiht those sysmtoms. I have a freind that had GB removed 20 years ago and still has major stomach issues today, gas, bloating,constapation and diarrah. all the time and the need to be close to a bathroom for her entire life. 
    • Posted

Hey Nana 

I had endoscopy before having the GB out and fortunately the one thing I have refused to cut back on is private health cover which I have to say (I cant believe Im about to say this) has been outstanding (thank you AXA PPP) , so I have a full blown cardio assessment lined up for next week, to be honest, Im not expecting anything from it but I am a worrier and have experienced health anxiety a few times in the past few years (dont start playing with your lymph nodes is my tip of the day!) , I have learned to get all the physical checks done, the rest is diet and stress managment mainly. 

Ill check back in post cardio tests

• Posted

good luck with cardio i am comprimised with lymph nodes as i had to have a lot removed due to breast cancer twice in the past wear a wristband to prevent lymphodema to alert medical staff not to do blood pressure or give needles into affected side . when i was in hospital with gb problem not one of the staff even noticed so dont have much faith if ever im not capable of telling them. linda 
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April last year.

Like you I have now ended up with a hiatus hernia.

Having said that I am certianly betterthan I was with the gallstones.

I'm sure that stress will not help.

Some you win some you lose that is life.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up