Excessive mucus, throat clearing, and chest tightness after 6 week bout of acute bronchitis.

Posted , 1 user is following.

In the beginning of February, I had what I believe was a sinus infection. I had yellow snot coming out of my nose, extremely painful headache/facial pain, high temp, etc. I did not go to doctor because I figured it would go away. This then turned to a bad cough. I finally went to doctor a week later. She said I had bronchitis and she gave me an inhaler and tessalon perles. After four weeks, I went to doctor again complaining of cough and chest tightness. Again she said I had acute bronchitis and gave me prednisone for 5 days and tessalon perles. She checked my breathing and said I had a little delay in expiration and that was a sign of a bronchospasm. She said people with asthma and acute bronchitis get this. 

After taking the prednisone for 5 days, my cough disappeared (I may cough once in a while but it’s rare). However, I am stuck with a heavy feeling in chest. Every morning I wake up feeling mucus in my throat. Whatever I spit out is watery, bubbly, mostly clear with a bit of white. I am a bit worried as to what this could possibly be. Do you think it is just my bronchi healing from a long bout of bronchitis? I do not smoke nor have I ever smoked. I am fairly healthy (workout & eat well). I have never been diagnosed with asthma before. The chest tightness and excessive mucus/phlegm is just a nuisance. I plan on going to doctor again if it does not resolve soon, but who has dealt with this after having acute bronchitis? 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.