Excessive Yawning and Constant Need to Breathe Deep

Posted , 480 users are following.

For the past few days, I've been yawning a lot, much more than average (once every few minutes I feel the need). If I'm not yawning I'm breathing in as deep as I can to get similar "satisfaction". Often I cannot get the "satisfaction" from these and so the urge grows and grows, meaning it can get quite uncomfortable. When I do manage it, the urge is back a few seconds later. This is whether I'm tired or not, almost all day. 

I'm not particularly anxious about anything in particular, and get the same amount of sleep as before this started. 

This also happened at some point within the past year which continued for a month or two if I remember correctly. 

Does anyone have any idea what it is or how to make it a bit better? 

Thanks.

27 likes, 1426 replies

1426 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi FlutterbyPie. Our resident GP has taken a look at your post and written an article about the causes of excessive yawning and a constant need to breathe deeply. Take a look here: https://patient.info/health/tiredness-fatigue/features/excessive-yawning-constant-need-to-breathe-deep

• Posted

Excellent read and thank you for your input and time! But? We need further evaluations with real objective proof in order to fix this horrible suffocating problem. It’s real Doc! And its scary! Just as I said before, it gets to the point of wanting to be intubated for air.  Run 1/2 mile and then place a plastic bag over your head and poke a coffee straw through it to breath.  I will volunteer to be the Ginny! Let’s run some test... 
    • Edited

I get it and its awful, I can be in bed and the way im breathing is asif ive just run a marathon. I've suffered sith this on and off for about 3 years, been tested for asthma, had chest x-rays but nothing i always put it down to anxiety but i dont feel anxious about anything so im at a loss as to what to do about it.

• Posted

i have had this for 3 years constantly, no breaks, just full on 24/7... so many tests, all comes back to anxiety

• Edited

hello guys i posted back then about some things that can cause this and some people just ignored it or just made fun of me for it, as if im not going through the same thing, anyways i didnt let it get to me but i think EVERYONE IN HERE SHOULD GET A SLEEP STUDY DONE IT CAN ACCOUNT FOR THE SYMPTOMS WE ARE GOING THROUGH. IF YOU HAVE NOT TRIED IT AND THINK ITS A DUMB IDEA SUIT YOURSELF BUT FOR THOSE PEOPLE THAT ARE DESPERATE TO TRY ANYTHING I WOULD RECOMEND YOU GET A SLEEP STUDY DONE.

• Posted

do you use essential oils? I Have this same issue for a year now and started diffusing oils around the same time I got this.

• Edited

Same symptoms.. hard to breath, tons of tests, sleep study (obstructive sleep apnea) but no treatments or suggestions from the numerous doctors have seen over 2 years of being tired in my breath not me. Not my heart or lungs, according to tests, not a stressful person , anxiety meds, inhalers, etc have had no effect. Problem seems to be rib muscles are fighting my effort to breath. Anyone else have "tight ribs" causing breathing problems?

• Posted

I went through the same things you are talking about. I learned that my symptoms were caused by exposure to sodium benzoate, which is a common preservative. If I complete avoid sodium benzoate, I remain symptom free. I am not saying we are the same, but if you notice a corelation of symptoms with consumption of food or drink, you may want to consider a food sensitivity issue.

• Posted

did you see an allergist to see that you were sensitive to this? im seeing one soon and really hoping im just allergic to something

• Posted

i was diagnosed with very mild sleep and treatment hasn't made a difference. the cpap

• Edited

Hi there, what types of foods have you been avoiding . im having this feeling again recently , had it a few years back but it went away . i notice it worse after eating . thanks in advance

• Posted

ok strange you say that... i used theives on my neck before it started.... and still do every night... strange coincidence?

• Posted

I relate to you. My ribs are cracking a lot nowaydays and I feel constant chest pain for the last 4 months, plus shortness of breath, unsatisfactory deep breathing, uncompleted yawning, fatigue, headaches. I've wasted thousands of dollars and nobody could ever tell me what's going on.

• Posted

STRESS!!!!! its stress and takes months of stress relief to fix the issue

• Posted

try stress relieving activities for 3 months then thank me later

• Posted

i have had yawn/breath problems. i was diagnosed with altitude sickness but then it was discovered that i had 2 displaced ribs. tried chiropractive/ acupuncture. my doctor says is not heart or lungs but passes it off as anxiety. started reading about the vagas nerve which sounds like it may be related

• Posted

i have had yawn/breath problems. i was diagnosed with altitude sickness but then it was discovered that i had 2 displaced ribs. tried chiropractive/ acupuncture. my doctor says is not heart or lungs but passes it off as anxiety. started reading about the vagas nerve which sounds like it may be related

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.