Excessive Yawning and Constant Need to Breathe Deep

Posted , 480 users are following.

For the past few days, I've been yawning a lot, much more than average (once every few minutes I feel the need). If I'm not yawning I'm breathing in as deep as I can to get similar "satisfaction". Often I cannot get the "satisfaction" from these and so the urge grows and grows, meaning it can get quite uncomfortable. When I do manage it, the urge is back a few seconds later. This is whether I'm tired or not, almost all day. 

I'm not particularly anxious about anything in particular, and get the same amount of sleep as before this started. 

This also happened at some point within the past year which continued for a month or two if I remember correctly. 

Does anyone have any idea what it is or how to make it a bit better? 

Thanks.

27 likes, 1426 replies

1426 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Does any body else get chest pains with this 
    • Posted

I do! My chest & upper back have started hurting from trying to catch my breath. The harder I try the worse it feels!
    • Posted

Yes me too... Idk what else to do or try.. 😭😭😭😭😭
    • Posted

I have finally had an answer and they said it is hyperventilation syndrome   All the symptoms match I am now having physiotherapy to retrain my self to breath properly I hope this helps you 😀
  • Posted

Well I have tried almost everything now so fed up of feeling like I can't breath properly I'm even worried about sleeping just in case I can't breath is this just me. I'm on my last resort I am now trying a chiropractor 
    • Posted

Hi...I read from somewhere reason for excessive yawning could be thyroid bease ofor hormonal imbalance. ...I am too facing this problem nd I am going to check my thyroid ...
    • Posted

I will keep you all updated on my chiropractor . I had my thyroid so checked and they were fine. 
    • Posted

Let us know. I just went to the emergency room. I had a lot of test done, and everything was ok. I am going to go to the doctor to get some nerve pills. If that doesn't cure it, at least it should help me cope.
    • Posted

I don't worry about sleeping because for some reason we must be breathing normal. Have you had your oxgen level checked? mine is 100%. I have been told by 2 doctors to try yoga. I am going to try yoga, get some nerve pills, and do exercises from u-tube to strengthen my lungs, and look for solutions on here. I tried the health food  recomendations but I can't take the pills because they give me diarea. I tried the laying on my left side breathing shallowly for 10 min. that didnt work. but if you already haven't tried them you might want to.
  • Posted

I am recently suffering from shortness of breath and the need to yawn.  I have to think about breathing instead of it being automatic!!  ..feel I cant fill my lungs, the more I think about it the worse it gets.  Iam on medication for hypertension and atrial fibrillation  and two of the drugs say the side effects can cause shortness of breath, so this might be it.  Recently had an angiogram and I have no blockages.  It is not a problem when I do water aerobics, seems worse when Iam not doing anything, probably thinking nabout it too much. 
    • Posted

That is exactly how I feel. I am contantly focused on breathing. Just went to the emergency room and had some tests done and everything turned out ok. I'm going to get some nerve pill. when I am talking to someone or focusing on it, I'm fine.
  • Posted

I aslo have recently been suffering with similar conditions. Does anybody else expeience mild heart palpitations, headaches, and lightheadedness with this sometimes? I honestly believe that we are all just constantly hyperventilating from the stress and anxiety we put on ourselves. We are all just stuck in this bad habit of breathing in too much and too fast, and we're constantly thinking and worrying about it that it never gets any better. I think that the real problem, for most of us atleast, is that we simply are just too anxious of all these symptons. In the moments when im doing something and my awareness is somewhere else completly, I notice that my breathing slows down and i feel a bit more realaxed. But then I go right back to thinking about my breathing, and get all anxious again. When you're constantly worrying about your breathing and you're always consciously trying to breathe, you make it only worse. It's all just anxiety. For example, when you're in a healthy state, you go all day without never thinking about you're breathing. Your breathing is slow and easy and no forced, but in a anxious state you start hyperventilating,and then you get more scared because your'e now hyperventilating. It's a vicious circle. I think learning to accept this will help you let go and eventually get better. Also slowly implemting the Buteyko Method that Will mentioned should help alot with regaining that normal brathing pattern. 
    • Posted

I have heart palpitations with this too I have medication for that now. I still have lightheadedness quite often and sometimes feel like there is mist in front of my eyes only lasts a few minutes then goes. Am starting to feel better in my self over the last few days 
    • Posted

I can answer your questions but u disabled your messages so i ant reply back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.