Excited!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am so excited! I had MIS surgery on both feet and a hammer toe correction 7 weeks ago. When I had my review with the surgeon last week, I was really worried because I couldn't get any shoes on at all! Even ones which were large and very wide! The only footwear that I could get on was a pair of walking sandals which were a size bigger than I usually wear! The problem was swelling and the fact that I couldn't bend my toes at all.  Didn't realise that you actually have to do this to get shoes on! Well, not until I couldn't do it! I had one physio session on Tuesday evening and have been manipulating my toes manually as explained.  Tried on walking shoes this morning with extra insoles removed and, hey presto, they went on and were comfortable! Mind they are a size bigger than normal shoes cos I wear them with 2 pairs of fluffy socks when walking! They might not be glamorous but I am so excited that I can actually get a shoe on! I will be able to ditch the even more glamorous look of socks and sandals which has been beginning to get me down! I am holding out for a bit longer before I buy some shoes for Christmas. Will have to be larger than normal, wider than normal and , of course, flat ( already decided on a pair of Clarks wide fit which are not exactly the sort of stuff that you would normally choose for ChristmS, but they are shoes! ) but on the mend and progress made! So, when you are feeling down, which we all do, try to think of the small steps that you have made and then you might be able to recognise how much progress you have made since you had your op. If you are like me then it is easy to forget that! Good luck to you all. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen, thank you for positive words.  I am at the stage were I am thinking I wish I had not had it done but I am sure I will get over it.  I feel a bit like I am grieving for the way it ways because it is not comfy at the moment.  I get good days and bad days.  The consultant was happy with the healing of both the bone and the scar.  My toe is slightly elevated due to the tightness of everything he will review it early new year he thinks it will all sort itself out.  I have to massage and push the toe back so hopefully that will help.  The recovery period is 12 months he said.  Thanks again xx
    • Posted

Pleased that you are healing well. think that good days and bad days are part and parcel of it! Try to hold on to the good days. That is what I am trying to do. My husband commented yesterday on how much improvement that I have made in the last week. Sometimes I forget to think about that. My toe in one foot is still sticking up a bit but the manipulating of it definitely seems to be helping. My surgeon also said that the more that you walk on it , the more that it should settle so definitely trusting in that. I go back in January so hoping that by then it will have sorted itself out, hope that is the same for you . Good luck
    • Posted

Yes I was to.d the same walking and walking normally not limping etc will help the healing I side and strengthen the foot muscles.  I go back in Jan/Feb too.  Thanks for replying Karen much appreciated 😊

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this is so positive. So you are very happy with MIS. Could you tell me where you had your op? I'm in the West Midlands and finding it difficult to get a MIS bunion man.

• Posted

yes. So far, so good. One foot idoes not look as the other but still very positive about it. I was very reluctant to have traditional surgery. I had that when I was a youngster and was not keen to go through it again. So, when I found out about MIS, I was very keen to investigate it further. I travelled to York to have mine done by Mr Budgen. Very impressed with him. Very little pain? Would definitely recommend at this point. Good luck hope that you find what you are looking for. 
  • Posted

I am echoing all the above Karen. It is getting easier every day, I'm  7 weeks post op now and think of how far I have come already. I find it so disheartening when my foot swells or my toe cocks. I don't even think about wearing shoes. I tried last week to find some flat boots that were not Ugg style and go upset when I couldn't get a single pair on, I know it will come in time, so in the mean time I wear a pair of Uggs a flat pair (which I can't drive in as too thin) and my trainers. I just know come next spring they should be OK to wear my sandals and summer shoes again. I have to say that without this forum I would of gone stir crazy, I have learnt more about my post op surgery from members on here than my consultant or GP put together! smile Keep smiling, the sun is beaming here in Kent smile
    • Posted

I agree. I am so pleased that I came across this forum. Had so many questions and worries which have been answered. Really good to hear that other people have the same issues and also great suggestions for issues which are concerning you. I am actually wearing walking shoes today. I tried them on the other day and was pleased to be able to get them on but have worn them around the house this afternoon. So pleased to not have to wear the sandals and socks and feel a complete twit! I am going out to a friends tonight which is the first time in nearly 7 and a half weeks. Really looking forward to it but not sure what will look nice with the footwear! Two weeks til glamorous Christmas night out. Hoping to be able to wear something a little better but buying new trousers to wear with nice top cos not expecting too much! Unfortunately, have forgotten what the sun is like up here in County Durham! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.