excruciating pain after sitting or laying down

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 52 yr old nurse with severe lumbar disc degeneration in whole of lumbar spine, also arthritis in both hips. Apparently this is mostly age related but no doubt result of 34ys nursing service.

I have tried physio, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, tens, osteopathy and facet joint injections with no relief.

My pain consultant is fab and talked me into a new career move which is still full time and hard but essential to keeping solvent but when i get home and sit down even for just 5-10 mins I cannot get up again without the most excruciating pain in my back, over the right upper outer quadrant of my hip/buttock.

It is also the same in bed after any period of laying down, any miniscule movement triggers the pain and i get the sciatica in the right leg down to three little toes.

My meds are paracetamol, brufen and occasional voltarol gel (weaned off tramadol because of problems). I have just started amitryptilline but worry bout side fx.

Due to have a caudal epdural on sept 4th but fearful this acute pain issue is some massive deterioration that may be permanent.

Please tell me if you guys know if this will get any better?

Very frightened here :-\

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Angela    so sorry to hear about your pain although i suffer from  sciatica only in toes and feet  i understand how you feel do no be frightened there is always help from someone just stay positive and you will get through,  pain is so hard to explain but like me i have been in agony at times sending you all my Best Wishes for your speedy recovery take care x

• Posted

Thanks sandra, its just that i always have some degree of pain and can plod on regardless but this is new these past two weeks so fear that it may be permanent or do i need to get new help?
    • Posted

yes angela   get it checked out for your own sake  it will be worth it for peace of mind   

• Posted

Hi Angela. I am a 32 yr old nurse. I had hip surgery last year with sciatic nurse damage and now an unresolved hip flexor? issue. It is excruciating and end up in A&E often for pain management.  Dr doesn't know what's wrong and it's very frustrating. 

As for you're injections, I had epidural nerve blocks for sciatic nerve dysfunction twice. They do work but do not treat underlying cause. As for your scans, are they recent? Could it be that the disc/s have moved resulting in your recent increase in pain? Don't worry too much about amitriptyline. Low dose shouldn't cause issues. What about lyrica etc? I'm on gabapentin. These medications are not fun but they can help.

If you are concerned about changes, ask you Dr for 2nd scans. Wouldn't hurt to check I guess and only you know if something isn't right. I've worked in spinal alot and seen many pts like yourself. Be honest about your concerns and go from there. Take Care 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply,

My scans were only recent and i had been listed for the epidural next month already but this a new pain and symptoms.

I couldnt get out of work to see a gp but they gave me a script for amytriptilline.

So far i have had two doses but i am falling asleep in the afternoon (good job onky had it at weekend) yet the pain is the same!

Dont think i shall be able to take it week days as i need to drive and work and will not be safe with it in my system.

If i get into a position sat or laid down i have no pain but even one milimetre in any direction crucifys me and so i dread trying to get up in case it takes that long esp to go the loo!

The pain is the aching in the lumbar spine from bra line to coccyx but the acute pain is the back of sacrum with ongoing sciatica (feels like i have a pencil under my toes when walking) .

I sound kaput so sorry for whinging :-[

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.