Excruciating tooth pain when waiting for Crown

Posted , 1 user is following.

A brief history:

I've been waiting to have put on an implant for a few months (when my insurance kicked in).  Suddenly, the screw came loose, and luckly intact, so my dentist was able to rescrew it back in.  The crown was to be put on in March.

The screw fell out on a Thursday, so he was not able to rescrew it back until Tuesday.  All went well, except he said when the shot wore off, i should expect a little pain, as the the tissue around the are already began to grow back, but it should be much.

Well, since Tuesday, I've had the worst tooth pain that I can remember.  It's been like torture and I didn't know what to do. The dentist had me come back to check the area under the screw to double-check if it was free of debris & clean.  Everything was as it should be, and he once again screwed in the screw, easily.

Again, after the shots wore off, I was in excruciating pain (I was ready to jump out of the window) and although ibuprofen helped a lot, I was taking 800mg every 3 hours to avoid this horrible pain..no exagerration.

Today I went to my Dr. and in the interim they gave me a shot of toradol, plus a few pills of "Norco" to tide me over until I could see a "periodontist" tomorrow.  When the Toradol wore off, the pain came back and I took a Norco which subdues the pain, but I can still feel it underneath the bandaid, plus my cheek is swollen.

The reason my dentist is sending me back to the periodontist is to make sure there is no problem with the implant itself because everything else was OK and there was no pain before the screw came out.

All I know is that the pain is intolerable and I can't live with it.  My dentist is puzzled as to why there is so much even though the tissue started growing.  If the implant seems fine, I don't k now if I can go back to feeling that pain - whatever its cause!!!

All I want to do is sleep - Pain is exhausting.  Can anyone shed some light as to what might have caused such pain?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.