Exercise...!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm a little too big to be indulging in visits to the gym yet and have never been very good when it comes to exercise.

I had a car accident 20 years ago and ended up with two broken legs and had to learn to walk again. I suffer terribly from arthritis in my ankle joints especially walking over rough ground. The more I walk the more I suffer.

How important is it whilst on the blueys?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there hopetobeslimmer

Exercise is the best thing for arthirits no matter how you came about suffering it.

Get that ankle working.

Melbi x

• Posted

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is more than probable that it is the weight that is causing the problems in your ankles.

Arthirits and weight don't mix too well :-(

Good luck in your weight loss, perhaps you could ask for some stronger painkillers from your GP to help you overcome the pain while you exercise?

Melbi x

• Posted

hi hopetobeslimmer,exercise has never been one my favs either but ive always been told to try and do some and build it up.u willget better results and feel better if you do small amount exercise.......so im told lol i have started abit but do it myself at home coz im gym phobic like u lol good luckxx :o
  • Posted

Why not try swimming - most pools have a ladies only swim time and you could go during the day when its less busy. The water takes the majority of the weight so your not suffering and its gives resistance which is good for burning calories and losing the weight, even if you just walk from one end of the pool to the other......

Dont give in, keep strong and you will win 8)

• Posted

What about swimming.....?

Check your local swimming baths for a ladies nite.

Very good exercise for losing weight and the water takes ur weight so makes it easier.

• Posted

Oh that was spooky Nicky....

posted at exactly the same time about swimming... :lol: :lol:

• Posted

Thanks for the advise about swimming! Have always loved swimming - but the size I am now I wouldn't even attempt to be seen at a local pool! Know too many people!

Have approx 8 stone to lose, so maybe after a couple of stone eh? Get my confidence first....!

Can I ask - How overweight are you that are using these blueys and how long do you think it will take you using the blueys to get to your ideal weight....?

• Posted

Hi Hopetobeslimmer

According to a 'local weight management group', I should be 9 stone lighter than I am at the moment!! :oops:

I have joined my local council gym and at first was quite embarrassed (sweating like a pig is not a good look lol!!) but now I am really enjoying it. The sense of achievement when I have done an hour on the bike (especially when the glamour pusses can only manage 15 mins!!!) is fantastic.

The gym also has a power plate (fancy vibrating machine thing) that I have seen a lot of physically disabled folk using, one man couldn't walk up the stairs when he joined but now manages fairly well!

Get yourself along for an assessment, you'll be surprised at just how much you could manage (and how quickly you build up stamina / strenghth!)

I have found since going to the gym that it is much easier to lose weight and I dont feel as guilty when I have an extra treat (or 2!)

Kirsty :D

P.S I have a dodgy back (pre weight problem!) and just miss out on the exercises that I feel pull on it......Good luck :lol:

• Posted

Hi Hopetobeslimmer,

Have you asked your GP for a gym referral :?: Most areas have them, you go along to the gym for about 10-12 weeks and the trainers there tailor a programme for your specific needs. I did it about 7 yrs ago and got on realy well.

I don't go to the gym now because of the cost, but have a treadmill and cross trainer at home which I find gives me the right amount of exercise I need in a week.

I don't swim but would love to learn, my confidence was knocked when I got out of my depth in the sea in Israel years ago and I can't seem to bring myself to have lessons. It's on my list of things to do when I retire :lol:

Jane

\"A moment on the lips is a lifetime on the Hips\"

God I must have had a thousand moments!!!

• Posted

if you can get offered gym referal then take it! i wish i had been! (maybe i should have asked!) But im now paying for the gym out of my own pocket.

But dont count out swimming - even if you drive to a leisure centre on the other side of town to avoid bumping into people at first! It fantastic for weightloss and overall toning of the body (as well as any breathing problems you may have!) I have a heart murmor and asthma, so my chest really takes a battering - but i know i have to do it!

Its hard to get over the confidence issue, i live by the following:

\"So we are overweight - its a completely fixable thing that we have all opted to try and rectify - and we will succeed!! Those people who pass comment and make it difficult for us - well they are just ugly, and there are no drugs on this fantastic planet availible to cure that! - whos worse off!\"

As for weight - when i started i was 22.2 Stone, i am currently 18.13 (or so the scales said today). The Dr reckons that i should be around 15 stone according to the hash that is the BMI scale. So i have set an aim at 16/17 stone over all.

You can do it - and when your down the forum is here for you - we all have issues that may be difficult on our own, but together we can muddle through!

Sorry for such a long post but there is so much to say to a new starter! Have faith - keep to a good diet and the tablet regime - get out there and do it - you will be so happy you did. :D

• Posted

\"So we are overweight - its a completely fixable thing that we have all opted to try and rectify - and we will succeed!! Those people who pass comment and make it difficult for us - well they are just ugly, and there are no drugs on this fantastic planet availible to cure that! - whos worse off!\"

Totally agree with u Dave!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.