Exercise Bike

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had Anterior Cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery in 2005. I have just started using exercise bike for 15 mins everyday. Is it okay? Am i going to cause any damage to my knees

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sadiq, cycling (and swimming) is one of te best exercises you can do to increase the strength of your muscles around your knee which will in turn help to support yor reconstruction. strengthen your quadriceps. It is a non-impact exercise whch means no repetitive jolting of your knee like running, or step classes. Don't try and do huge distances yet or push yourself too hard using gears that are too difficult for your knee to handle - build up gradually. I had a reconstruction 25 years ago and cycled loads sincē then. Now had a TKR 5 weeks ago. I can't wai to ge back on my bike.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. It has given some idea wat to do now
  • Posted

I'm using my stationary exercise bike now to strengthen both legs to get back on my road bike.  I'm doing about 15 minutes (7 weeks out from TKR).  Consult yesterday and surgeon said when I feel ready, I should be OK to get back on the road bike.

I look forward to that but do not want to rush in.  I will know when my leg is strong enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.