Exercise for limited mobility

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! So I have osteoarthritis in both knees, surgeon has removed some of the arthritis as well as a section of my kneecap just over a year ago, I’m now awaiting a tkr but as I’m 47 he wants to hold off abit longer.

I have trouble with any pressure applied to knees  whether it’s climbing stairs, walking up and down hills. I’ve tried aqua aerobics but my knees can’t cope! I’m looking for some kind of exercise I can do as I’m currently dieting and want some kind of exercise to go alongside the diet. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks Julie

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Go get a 2nd opinion, bet if you were paying you would be on his list tomorrow. I would push to get it done now.

Losing weight will will really help the knees and of course the new knee will last longer as well. Swimming lengths will help you can do that any time in the local pool. Upper body weight lifting in a gym. Even a simple walk will help. If you walked 30 mins every day you would be surprised how many calories you would burn. 

• Posted

I would ask about pysiotherapy as they can show you gentle exercises you can do, sitting down and standing. You should get a 6 week course in a class and then continue them at home. Gentle walking on the flat can help also. Swimming is good too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.