Exercise How many times a day is enough to make a difference.

Posted , 16 users are following.

First of all, just to say thinking of Susan who had her TKR today, hope she is comfortable, it will be me in the same position at this time next weekcry

I have turned my thoughts to the necessary exercises and iceing, what does an avarage day consist of and how do you fit in enough rest periods?  I have always believed rest heals, but it sounds to me as though the day is all about exercise, attempted walking and iceing?  I want to do enough, but don't want to over do things.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just want to say 'good luck' to all the people having the operation in the coming weeks.

I hope you all have a fantastic recovery and don't forget to come back and tell us all about it.

• Posted

I think your knee will tell you when you've had enough. I found it best to do  ten each of the exercises that you will be given but at first you will probably need to rest between them. In hospital you will be given a lot of physio and those angels/ demons will advise you what to do. As you shouldn't be doing anything at first but looking after yourself you should have plenty of time for rest. You may need it as sleep is a precious commodity that is hard to get the first few weeks. Good luck for net week.
    • Posted

You are so right about the sleep  1-15 am and I'm still awake ....sleep is adefinitely a precious commodity

i wish you could buy it.

• Posted

Hi... I found it best to do the exercises lying in bed 1st thing in morning  ... then a bit of walking on crutches.. or frame . rest and ice.... have a nap ... more of the exercises on top of bed... rest ice .. walking  on frame ... This was pretty much my days for about 3 weeks... then if you seephysio they will give you more to do if needed... i found it very difficult to keep it up but you really do need to keep moving... you will have plenty pain mess to take... i am 11 weeks on... I have started using exercise bike for 5 minutes twice  a day.... and use a balance ball.... I still need a stick... I won'tpretend Iit's easy .. good luck.... This site is fantastic for any worries you have.... take care 
  • Posted

Personally I did one set of the complete routine in the a.m. and a lighter set in the afternoon. To me rest was so important. I guess I was lucky, my therapist started small and added to the routine every time we met. He wanted to make sure I was dping each of them correctly. His theory was if you do them wrong its worse than not doing them at all
  • Posted

the day is all about exercise.  I am at 3 and a half weeks and am at 120 degrees and over in every exercise!  I do exercises in bed, in my chair, when I cant sleep etc. I even set up an exercise station in the living room rt in front of the tv so i had no excuse!  When I got tired I rested.  Icing very important.  The first two weeks I had ice on my knee almost all the time.  Now i have practically no swelling.  In the beginning its hard to over do it cuz you really cant do much.  Your physical therapist will only let you do what she thinks you can do.  When I started pushing myself thats when the therapist started to really ramp it up.  I didnt worry about anything except doing my therapy.
  • Posted

Hi Liz i think it was me you referred to, I was supposed to have my knee done last Saturday but got postponed. I now have a new date for Thursday 27 November. I don't know if it helps but I have ordered one of those ice packs that have Velcro straps thus enabling me hopefully to walk around. I was just about to ask the same question as you 
    • Posted

Hi Susan

just read your post about the ice pack

my hospital gave us all our ice packs to bring home with us. 

You ought to check with your hospital instead of buying one

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Susan Good Luck for next thursday i'm sure it will all go well as next thursday is my birthday a good omen!

Alan

• Posted

They come in useful Jean I think. Don't know about getting anything free where I live though. I like the idea of being able to move around with it on and not having to stay out all the time.
    • Posted

The Icepack the hospital gave me is far too big to walk around with

i just use it after exercise and sit on bed with my feet up 

but I can't knock a freeby biggrin

i'm in Sheffield and we don't usually get anything for free here

but the ruse said if we don't take them home they throw them away 

what a waste ..as they are quite expensive 

• Posted

I think the best thing about my op  was the sedation ...it just sent me off into dreamland and if I did here anything ..I just thought they had the builders in ...lol

the worst thing being the op was scheduled for the morning and I ended up having the op late afternoon so I'd been sat around since 7am in a hospital gown bored out of my mind 

jean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.