Exercise really does help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

And i dont mean the physio exercises i was given after surgery! Of course it is imperitive you do these religiously as instructed by your physiotherapist. I am 11 months post lkr and have been struggling massively with the muscles in my leg! They keep tightening and stiffening which can be painful and definately hinders me walking. I joined a swimming pool and have been doing aqua aerobics. As well as swimming. I love it and it is so helping my knee and muscles in leg. I didnt go for 2 wks over xmas due to work and xmas and gosh what a difference. I just basically want to share this as it has helped me! I have learned so much from this site and people who have had the same replacement surgery as me i want to share my experience to! I swim 30 lengths twice a wk and do aqua fit once a week i wish i could do more but i cant due to work.

I did find it really hard to get my head round how differently everyone heals. It upset me when i was struggling to walk with a stick and some people were doing much better much sooner after surgery than me. However much you are told we are all different when you are working hard at physio and doing your best its a hard pill to swallow. They told me it could take 1 to 2 years to own your knee and i am now believing them. I have come such a long way and am still improving. Hopefully now swimming is helping so much i actually believe i wil get there! Any other tips and advice greatly recieved!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yup.  Gym is mandatory to rebuild quads. glutes and core.  Can't finish PT and then sit in a chair waiting for some magic to happen.  Swimming is POIFECT!!! Wish I had a pool around.  Worked great when I rehabbed a hip replacement.

So right on the "at least a year" thing.  I thought I was done a 8-9 months...boy, was I wrong...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/patient-heal-thyself--548806

This is not easy and there are no shortcuts.  Yes, there are some people who are minus 3 standard deviations on the bell curve who kick this in a few months...very rare.  When I thought I was done, my doctor cousin reminded me of the one year rule...should have listened before I ran into more crap.

In the end there really is no "time".  Gotta be Zen: "I'll be better when I'm better."

• Posted

Yes yes yes, I most certainly agree with u Debbie!  I've been somewhat off exercises for a month now due to problems occurring in my lower back. But I still try to walk some each day. Don't want to lose what I have worked toward. With the holidays n all the snowbirds this time of year, medical offices have been swamped. I'm trying my best to be pacient. What else can I do?? I'm 9 months po and still deal with a lot of healing issues but still hoping for the best. I started swimming at one point exercises but then went to bike, elliptical and weights, then started getting the back issues.  It's all very trying. I know we all have our own crosses to bear -- think positive think positive, I know I know! Best of good health to you with a lot less pain and a lot more strength, best.... K. P. 🌬🌬👼👼🍀🍀🚴🚴🏊🏊🌈🌈

• Posted

Hey Debbie, I'm just past 2 years both knees replaced, 3 months apart. Yes you have figured it out! Exercise and PT are the key to really getting your knees back. I was in PT for a year along with walking a mile a day. The dog helped a lot with motivating that. Exercise bike even 10 minutes a day helps stretch things out and ROM. Had RTHR July 27, 2016 so I'm at 5+months, getting back to where I was a year ago!

Swimming is great. Don't get to it as much as I would like. Keep up the hard work, enjoy your new freedom.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your replies to my post. Its so helpful and encouraging to hear from fellow tkr patients. It really does help with the positivity! We know what hard work it is to recover. This site is so good for the support we often need! X
  • Posted

Hi Debbie, that's good to hear.  I'm six week post surgery and struggling with my bend (70).  I'm going to start swimming at the weekend, I do have the time and a local pool.  Will take your tip and try aqua aerobics as well.  Hope you continue your recovery.  Best wishes to you.

• Posted

It helps so much to know I'm not alone in this thing and what I'm going through is normal.  I'm hoping for a good productive day tomorrow.  Physical therapy days are always good days.  

• Posted

Absolutely!!!! The bicycle really gets my knee moving and the treadmill is helping me build stamina! And I agree...physical therapy days are good days!!!
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

It's great to hear from someone who's further down recovery road!

Yep swimming is wonderful, our local pool runs aqua aerobics but is over subscribed. Isn't that typical! Once I can summon up the enthusiasm to be cold & wet again I will get back to swimming. (Our local pool is cold &draughty, not fun winter time!)

We will all get there eventually.

Everyone who contributes on here gives us something else to think & act on.

Thank you for your story. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Best regards

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Tks debbie. I was exercising daily and due to travelling and Christmas/New Year I've not been doing much except the occasional walk. I noticed the difference! I used to pool walk daily but with lots of overseas travel I put my pool walking on hold. Back to the gym and pool next week. I agree with you. I am at 10 months bilateral replacements on Mar 21 2016. Tks again. All the best Lyn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.