Exercised and now feeling terrible

Posted , 4 users are following.

Help! I've been struggling with anxiety and acid reflux for a few months now. Tonight, I tried doing some yoga again after taking a break for some weeks. Yoga used to be calming for me, but I feel terrible now. It's been about two hours after the session. I'm tense, my heart is pounding, my back aches and I feel like I'm on the verge of hyperventilating. I scared I'm going to die. It wasn't a strenuous yoga session I think, though it wasn't exactly a gentle one either. I'm not sure how much of it is just anxiety or acid reflux or a heart attack. Cognitively, I know I'm probably fine, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself of this and calming down. I know many people say exercise is supposed to help anxiety, but I'm afraid to do it when it can cause physical reactions like this that make me feel even more anxious. Anyone have any insights or tips to help please?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Irene,

I know how it feels to have anxiety like that. Try to calm down and shift your thinking to something more calming and get out of that state of anxiety trying to take over you. It sounds like a panick attack and the worst that could happen is you would faint and your body would go back to normal when you aren’t conscious. Take it easy and you will be fine smile

• Posted

Is there anyone you can talk to or something that can do to take your mind off it? Maybe go for a drive if you feel up to it. Sometimes talking to someone or going for a drive help me.
  • Posted

I am the same.. have had numerous panic attacks after excercising and get very anxious. Started back again two weeks ago (3 sessions a week) and still feeling rough and do be wired to the moon in the night time.

It certainly doesnt relax me but am going to perservere.

Am also hoping to start yoga as well soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.