Exercising and osteoporosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been told that bending forward is not advisable when having osteoporosis, I am confused because I seem to bend all the time when exercising, any ideas what they mean with that ? Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm not really sure. All I can think is that you are being advised not to put too much strain on your hip joints.

• Posted

Thanks for your interest will def be much more mindful of my exercise program 
  • Posted

A physiotherapist at a bones clinic I attended said we should bend down by actually moving as though we are about to sit down - stick out your bottom and lower yourself. This avoids the stress on the knees that an ordinary squat will cause, plus enables you to reach quite low without that forward bend of the spine we should avoid.  It's also easier to rise from than an ordinary squat.  I think what it's doing is adjusting the centre of gravity.  I use this motion when feeding my cats, for example.

• Posted

I have been told that so long as it is a controlled movement we can bend and even twist. I called the NOS and asked specifically this question since I have been doing pilates and yoga classes for a couple of years and I am now trying to figure out what is really dangerous. Stomach crunches, rolling like a ball and the likes are a no no.
    • Posted

On the healthunlocked forum someone posted a link to a video describing how to bend without actually bending the spine - you fold up like a table!  The video makes it clear.  But basically you move your backside as though you are about to sit down, the knees automatically bend, and you swing down from the hips keeping the spine straight.  By moving this way your centre of gravity prevents stress on the knees, and it is possible to pick up things from the floor without stressing the vertebrae.  Easier to understand when looking at the little video.  
    • Posted

If I can find it I'll private message the link. Otherwise, join the health unlocked site, the bone health forum.

• Posted

yes, you have explained much better than me. I am naturally very flexible and careful about form. I do not tend to bend the spine. 
  • Posted

Agree with all of the comments. Physio advised me to stop yoga\pilates as too much bending and twisting, and do core strength, impact and resistance band exercises. It is because in severe osteoporosis you may have a high risk factor of a break caused by something as simple as coughing,  bending from the waist or twisting. I sprained my ankle badly by getting out of bed and putting my foot on the floor. Tore all the ligaments and tendons. It was that simple. I still do yoga poses that don’t involve bending or twisting,  (very  moderate compared to what I’m capable of] and combine with the rest. I just watch how I move now. 
    • Posted

And sprained the othe ankle years later trimming roses. Haven’t broken anything though..💪

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.