Exhausted and stopping breathing

Posted , 3 users are following.

This has been happening a lot laterly it's happened on and off can go months without it but laterly it's happening more this week it's happened 3 times as I'm going to sleep I get the kinda doom scared feeling I wake up unable to breathe I am breathing just long heavy breaths and I kinda have to lay there still sometimes I can't move I have been to doctors number of times about this to be told it's just a sleep disorder or anxiety it feels I'm going to die in my sleep so because of this today I have been a nervous wreck im panicking at everything I even feel I'm stopping breathing while awake because of what kept happening last night im exhausted and I do need a nap to be honest but I'm scared to sleep because I'm positive it will kill me ! ... A lot of people have mentioned apnea but my doctors don't give it a second look also I have a lot of headache so all the signs are there im actually going in a trace now which is not good I have driving lesson tommorow I feel like giving up on it I know I can't but I should what of I go in a trance while driving ? I have been really stressed laterly could this be the cause I'm scared I won't wake up !???

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

P.s I rarely make a noise my partner hasn't heard me make a noise with this not breathing thing he does say I snore though and also I have noticed it happens more when I have been stressed out run down other nights I sleep like a baby other times o have insomnia
  • Posted

Hi it could be sleep paralysis has this ever been mentuioned?  My partner gets it quite a lot where like you say you'll wake up suddenly and be unable to move.  It's happened to me before but not very often.  I'm no doctor but might be worth a look.  It's scary though.  You need to keep going back to the doctors I am sure there are more tests and things that they can do.  Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks funny you just said this I have just been woken up from my nap ( I finally just dozed off ) I could hear my little girl talking to me I wanted to speak back but my eyes was fused shut I could only move my feet I couldn't breathe or wake up although I could see my daughter in my head like I was dreaming I kept trying to shout but I just couldn't but I was actually still asleep is this paralysed? Xx
    • Posted

Hello Stephx, This could be sleep paralysis, which is where the body is relaxed and the brain is active. You cannot open your eyes and you try to shout out. It is quite common and can be caused by anxiety. I have had this in the past thou not recently. Sometimes you can feel a prescence in the room or someone actually in bed with you and your on your own. I have seen my daughter coming up the stairs yet she wasn't in the house at the time and like you say you have your eyes shut and you cannot open them, it is nothing to worry about thou it can be frightening at the time. It will not harm you. I have had where you feel like someone is sitting on your chest and you cannot breathe. Try to relax before sleep. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Thanks ! Yeah that's it it's like I can see everything but my eyes are shut but I know I could actually hear her because I asked her what she said and it was exactly the same like I was awake but my body was still asleep .

freaked out but u did tell myself to relax as it was happening and it would pass and it did after what felt like forever I think it's because my depression is back again I'll have a warm drink before I go to bed tonight thanks xx

• Posted

Hope you sleep better tonight, try not to get anxious before sleep. 

smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.