Experience with having a Myomectomy vs Uterine Artery Embolisation

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello could someone tell me there good experience of having a Key hole Myomectomy ? I was recommended uterus Artery Embolisation as it's a safer option instead of Myomectomy also if I want to keep my uterus .With Myomectomy there's a big chance of over bleeding which would cause a hysterectomy. I have a daughter , 37 and i have a very large Fibro.

Amanda

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I had UFE I'm now 16 my months post op. It hasn't really worked so I asked for a Myomectomy and was told I could have one as long as I agreed to a Hysterectomy in advance. I said no chance. But I didn't ask for Laprascopic. So that may be why. I have read up on it and I need to ask for Laproscopic Gynaecogist.

Any other does not have the skill. I have an appointment with hospital on 6th June and ask for that but without agreeing to a Hysterectomy in advance and see what they say

• Posted

Hi amanda74231,

Please see my experience of laparoscopic myomectomy/ key hole myomectomy in the link below:

Laparoscopic myomectomy post-op

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/laparoscopic-myomectomy-post-op-588697

Pain

UFE was more painful for me in the first initial 3 days than my laparoscopic myomectomy, which means I had to take narcotics such as morphine and codein. My myomectomy caused discomfort more than pain, so I only had to take anti-inflammatory medication such as advil, ibuprofen and ponstan and I never had to take narcotics.  The most pain I got from the myomectomy was from the gas pains and for this I took gas x.

Swelling/ Bloating

There is swelling after both procedures, with UFE my stomach stayed hard for the full 8 months until I removed the fibroids.  The swelling from the myomectomy slowly reduced over the weeks, it has now completely gone in my sixth week.

Results

The result for UFE takes up to 12 months to show shrinkage, some people see shrinkage in 3 months, 6 months etc.  The shrinkage from UFE can relieve symptoms, if you get shrinkage, for me shrinkage was minimal and my largest fibroid which was over 6 cm remained the same size in diameter which was disappointing and UFE did nothing for my symptoms,  in fact my bleeding became heavier because my fibroids were haemorrhaging. 

The laparoscopic myomectomy removed the 9 fibroids and the chocolate ovarian cyst that had been causing me pain during menstruation and my first initial period was extremely painful.  My second cycle had minimal pain, no clots and I am still only 6 weeks in recovery, so I am pleased with these results.  My stomach is no longer hard and has drastically reduced and is improving every week.

The recovery period is longer for myomectomy as you have lifting restrictions but for me this was a minor inconvenience, didn’t particularly want to vacuum and do domestic housework anyway 😊

Scars

I have no scars from the UFE but I have 3 little scars from the myomectomy, the belly button incision is excellent and well hidden and you cannot see it and the other 2 scars will fade over time.

My only worry about both procedures is the potential for new appearances of fibroids in the next few years but I can only hope for the best.  The surgeon removed every fibroid, even the smallest fibroid was removed and cauterized.  So far for me I am extremely happy with the laparoscopic myomectomy and I wasted my money on the UFE (paid for it privately), that is my experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.