Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +1 following
derrick33403 derrick33403

Experienced 6 years of Chronic Constipation now Cured.

Hi all, 

I want to start but saying I am not a doctor and can only speak from my experience with constipation. I am now 29 and haven’t experienced constipation for years. I hope my story helps someone else. 

Starting when I was 16, I started having troubles using the restroom. I would be in unbearable pain while trying to have a bowel movement, sometime experiencing blood. When I would finally experience a bowel movement, it would knock me out! Like going to sleep for hours after, trying to sleep off the pain.

I have been to countless emergency room doctors, primary care physicians and even Doctors who specialize in gastrointestinal issues. Each one of these told me I experiencing constipation.  Doctors conducted X-Rays, Colonoscopy and Endoscopys to check for intestinal obstructions. After each visit, I was told to take more and more laxatives. At this point I was experiencing bowel movement every 6 weeks.

At its worst I was taking the following daily:

·      8oz Milk of Magnesia

·      Ducolax

·      Sodium Citrate

·      Miralax

·      And some topical rub, I don’t remember

Anyway, this went on for years. When I was 21, I finally decided to go see another Gastroenterologist.  After an exam or two he determined I had an Anal Fissure.

An anal fissure is a tear in the lining of the lower rectum (anal canal) that causes pain during bowel movements.

(https://patient.info/health/anal-fissure-leaflet).

The doctor told me that because of the physical pain I experienced for so many years while trying to use the bathroom, my subconscious was actually preventing the stool from passing.  I had a quick surgery, which cut a muscle around the tear which allowed it to heal.

Now I am 29 and haven’t experienced constipation since. This surgery really changed my life. I hope my experience prompts you to ask your physician if they have checked for anal fissures and changes your life too. 

0 Replies

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.