Experiences of propranolol

Posted , 7 users are following.

My doctor has prescribed propranolol as I am suffering with severe anxiety-although I'm not entirely convinced it's just that!

Tight chest, I feel like I can't breathe(even though I'm breathing), feels a constant lump in my throat, heart is never less than 85bpm(I'm 34 female, very slim but NEVER exercise therefore I'm very unfit), heart palpitations... I could go on all night with this!

Anyway, I'm desperate for some relief from these physical symptoms but, being a huge wimp, I'm terrified and too anxious(yes, yes I see the irony!!) to take the bloody medication! Catch 22...

Anyone who has had any experience with taking these tablets, I'd love a reply!

Thanks in advance

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking Propranolol for the past 2 years - initially to help me cope with the anxiety I was suffering from through my a level exams. Propranalol for me really does help with the physical symptoms of my anxiety, it helps to keep my heart rate low which keeps me more calm and relaxed as a result. However, I am now definitely reliant on Propanolol and the thought of not taking my medication feels me with fear. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ive been on 80mgs for a week now. Cant say i have noticed any positive changes but i guess its to early on..... one thing i have noticed as i seem to be getting the sweats at random times rolleyes

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

A heart rate of up to 100 is normal
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've been takeing 20 mg of proranolol a day for 8 weeks now ( along side with a antidepressant) and I must say for me I feel a lot better than I did

I couldn't even get out of bed for fear of anxiety and panic and now I even pop to the shop I'm a hell of a long way from better but I've defanaitly noticed improvement.

I never even used to take paracetamol Cus I didn't like takeing tablets. I no every one is different but I would recomend them

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm in the throes of an anxiety attack right now... One of the kids woke up and I woke with my heart racing-nothing unusual there. I tried to get back to sleep but every time I started to fall asleep I t felt as though I wasn't inhaling again so I'd wake up with a jolt. Now my heart rate is at 68bpm-unheard of for me lately! I feel very tense... Wtf is going on?! I'm at my white end and if it weren't for my children, I'd probably throw in the towel!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

yes i am on them and they work brilliantly for me they certainly help with the palpitations as for the lump in the throat that is caused by anxiety as i had that what it is when we are anxious our body goes into fight and flight mode as in cave man times, they wouldnt eat in case they had to run or fight thus giving an empty tummy. during anxiety our stomache grinds to a halt and in the throat it is protecting from any food going down thus the feeling of a lump in the throat. I had it for about three weeks and for some reason always later in the afternoon. If you can tolerate them i would say yes they are definately a help in controlling the palps for me i wouldnt be without them but different things may suit different people. I was on atenalol before but even if i missed one dose the palps were back with the propanalol ive never had that problem if i have missed a dose.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up