Experiences with Mirtazapine adaption period

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I've been taking 15mg of Mirt for about 3 weeks now. I started on it because of severe anxiety and sleeplessness. To begin with the sedation secondary effect work from the first dose, it not only helped me sleep but stopped my daytime anxiety as well. But now three weeks on the sedatry effect seems to have gone and the last few days I've gone back to being very anxious.

I figure I'm at the point where my own chemistry is adjusting to the new chemicals and I'm going through that 'worse before better' period. So i wanted to hear other's experiences during this transition period. What was it like for you? How long did it last? Etc. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had this and had to up my dose to 30mg. I was fine on that and it worked well for almost 4 years.
    • Posted

How long did it last, do you remember? Did you up your dose and that made it t stop, or did you have to adapt to the higher dose as well? 
    • Posted

Once I was on the 30mg the anxiety didn't come back. You just have to find the level that is right for you. I didn't have any negative effects from upping my dose, it just worked really well for me. However aafter nearly four years it suddenly stopped working and so I am weaning off it now and am back down to 7.5mg.
    • Posted

Interesting, thanks. I'm not sure how well I get on with this medication tbh, I found the sedation hard to begin with, but since that wore off I seem to swing between slightly altered mind state, to kind of muddled headed. It's all rather confusing. 

Good luck with weaning off. How's that going so far? 

• Posted

Not a problem so far. I had already stopped sleeping again before starting to wean off, so no change there, but emotionally, I'm fine so far and no physical withdrawals either. I have done it gradually, staying for ten days at each taper.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.