Explanations

Posted , 3 users are following.

Something is eating away at me at the moment and I dont really know how to face it! I still live with my parents at the moment but am moving out soon, I am 19, and get on well with my parents, I didnt use to that well growing up but now its good. Id like to talk to my mum about my problems, I have never opened up to her about my depression. But i feel she should know. I just dont know how to bring this up to her, I started Flu about a month ago now. My mums been having a hard time and i didnt want to burden her when she has enough on her plate. Anyone have any suggestions how to talk to her about this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

It's not easy to tell those close to us about depression - but perhaps your mum has noticed something anyway? I think it's hard for parents to accept how low their child is feeling, regardless of the age of that child (my parents have really struggled with it and I'm twice your age!) There is a great book that might help, called \"Living with the black dog\" - it's a picture book with captions which very succinctly sum up what it's like to suffer from depression and what others can do to help. Here's a link to it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Black-Dog-Matthew-Johnstone/dp/1845297431/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242890617&sr=8-1

Good luck and take care.

• Posted

Hello Grace

Depression can make us feel guilty and not wanting to burden other people with our problems. If you have a good relationship with your mum I'm sure she'll understand and be supportive towards you. Though, she may be worried and concerned about you being on anti depressants.

I have teenage children and despite my depression I always make time to listen to them and support them and I'm sure your mum'll do the same.

I hope this has helped.

Take care and know that we're all here for each other. :D

• Posted

Hi Grace,

There is a good chance your mum already knows there is something wrong and is worried that you are not getting it sorted. When I was diagnosed I told my dad and his 1st words were \"about time too. You've not been right for ages\".

Our parents are a lot more perceptive than we give them credit for. Always remember, your mum is the one who knew what was wrong with you before you could even talk!!!!!

Lelly xx

• Posted

hiya Grace :cheerup:

yep, as allready stated in other peeps posts, im certain your mum has noticed that you are not 'quite right' in yourself, indeed it could be puzzling her :huh: she might even be wondering herself how she can broach the subject with you without appearing to be nosey :ok: :wink:

don't forget Grace, you have a serious nasty indiscriminate PHYSICAL illness, it's very REAL, non of your doing and nothing to be ashamed of, if you were say, diabetic you'ld have no qualms in telling your mum would you Grace ??:huh: :wink:

go for it Grace, the sooner the better in fact, she might even be relieved that it's nothing more sinister, you need help and support at the moment and talking about it really does help :mrgreen: anyhooooos thats what mums are for innit lol :shock: :mrgreen:

take care Grace and let us know how you go on :ok:

cheers,

Ken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :cheers: :rainbow: :rose:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.