Exposure to cigarette smoke

Posted , 1 user is following.

ood evening and thanks for looking into this..

I was wondering if someone would be able to help. I sensed smoke emitting from the flat above (which sounds trivial but has a huge impact on me) and since developed a few symptoms that are worrying, but what concerns me most is the impact this might have on my little ones, one of whom is 3 yrs 2 mths and a baby 5 mths old.

The smoke comes in round the clock, with breaks if I keep all windows open. Otherwise the smell can linger till they light a new cig. It has now been over a week. The odour is not strong enough to 'hit you in the face' but envelops you 'gently' (if I can say so) and won't go till a wind ow is open (which sometimes seems to only make it worse.

My baby is crankier than usual when the smoke comes, she also makes a strange sound when drawing in her breath (not all the time but when awake and quite often). She also seems to try to blow her nose when she wakes up. And she seems to have been constipated for the last 3 days, though wind coming, and she is entirely breastfed.

Myself, before her birth, I had to deal with a bit of a stress which I believe made my child be born 37 weeks officially and 35 weeks since I can tell for sure. After her birth I had to endure 2 courses of antibiotics while breastfeeding since they could not treat UTI in one go due to a very strange choice of antibiotics the 1st time around, and not caring enough to prevent it in the very first place. Then I was found to be anaemic. They diagnosed thrash recently and found some blood inurine dample. And since I smoked for a year 9 years ago due to stress and strong psychological dependence, I hated every later draw at every cig and that year a huge impact on my overall health, so when 'neighbours are smoking' comes from me, it is not a grumble but a real concern since I know what it costs me. I used to be able to put up with occasional puff from soeone in the street but now it has been over 4 years since exposure to smoke turned to be a torture. The symptoms I developed over the past 4 days are:

• severe headache (first above eyes, now above neck on the left side, occasionally temples)

• vomiting (luckily stopped) / off food (1 day)

• back pain (lower, then between shoulder blades)

• high temperature over 38 C (1 day)

• palpitation (i had only occasional thuds like this when pregnant; now it is really worrying)

They could not locate infection. I have been on pain killers for over 3 days now, went for a short walk today, feeling slightly better. I also had a few nervous tick flitches in my left eye (on top of everything) and am really grateful you went through this with me now. Any suggestions of what this exposure to smoke might entail, would be appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.