Exposure to lung irratints?

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello all! I am trying to get a case study going on Wegner's at my campus, but I need some info to get going on the lead I have. Has anyone here been exposed to large amounts of black mold or other lung irritants(smoke, lead or other heavy metals, coal dust or that from a mine, asbestos, etc.)? If so could you please specify or take a picture of the mold and or irritant and state how long the exposure was pre-diagnosis that would be awesome!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

"Wegener's".      What is your background and the basis of your lead?   You're asking personal stuff and you can't spell it right.  

• Posted

I pretty much spent my youth ages 12-24 slave laboring for my dad doing construction. Spent many summers demoing asbestos shingles off houses. I've Renovated some old nasty 1800 houses with plenty of mold. I've renovated houses with fire damage. 

When I was 28, I had inflammation in my lung and was diagnosed with wegners. 

Good luck with your study

• Posted

I worked sanding fiberglass a bit back in my teens and early 20's.   I only refinished one car but it took a lot of fiberglass to restore it.  And I built soapbox derby cars and refinished them. I doubt I wore a mask while sanding.  Can't remember.    I also smoked cigs for over 35 yrs.   I have lung only Wegeners now in my early 50's.   My docs aren't convinced that the fiberglass has anything to do with the Wegeners but I don't rule anything out.   Keep us posted.   

• Posted

Hi I am from New Zealand and I am interested to know how your study is going on this disease. I was diagnosed in 2015 and have no idea and neither do my medical team on how,where,or why I contracted it. I was however working in a very busy hospital laundry that processed both commercial and hospital linen..and yes I worked in a sorting room

that had piles of mouldy linen! I have always been suspicious of this.

• Posted

Where I grew up put me 1/4mi between 2 freeways(405  118) in an agriculture area.

From age 9 to 65 I lived 4 miles from a radioactive meltdown (Nuclear-Secret-Santa-Susan-Field-Lab-450098253.html ).  Age 40 to 50 I worked in cement work and cleaned a lot of black mold out.

Found the Wegeners at age 45.  Big flare!!

• Posted

Hi in 1997/1998, about 1 year before I started showing symptoms , I was creating a mural in my bedroom using a spray paint called Montana spraypaint. The mural took around 4/5 weeks to complete. I slept in the room for weeks on end with lots of paint fumes in the air. (very stupid of me, but I was only 14). Since then some friends have suggested their may have been lead in the paint and this could have been a trigger of my wegeners.
  • Posted

I can't tell you for sure but when I had my worst attack of GPA, I had removed the insulation from one of my rooms to replace it. The room had leaked so I know it was mildewed or molded. Soon after I got sick with a sinus infection that seemed like I could get no relief from. My ears stopped up, I tooked a real bad cough and my sinunses were completely stopped up. I was under the care of my primary doctor, a rheumatologist and a ENT doctor. This went on for 6 months before I went to see a Allergy/Asthma doctor that put me in the Hospital. After 8 days I was dignosed with Wegener's. But I have been sickly with my sinuses all my life. I also have Short Limb Symdrome. I feel like replacing the ceiling may have caused Wegener's to really get bad or to exposed its self.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up