Extreme dizziness and anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am almost 40 years old and have suffered anxiety since I was about 13.  At the time I got a lot of dizziness but the doctors did not know what it was I just got a random dizzy spell during P.E at school then after that everytime I had P.E I got dizzy spells very bizzare but that was the only time I felt like that and also the odd occasion walking home from school.  When I was 16 I was diagnosed with cancer in my nose and due to a lot of surgery my nose did not look 'normal'.  As a result many people starred at me and I suppose I was embarrassed and my anxiety went through the roof........not wanting to go out feeling dizzy when I did plus people were starring.  Aged 16-17 I took time off schooling as I was having treatment then I went back to school to do A levels which was a bad time as my nose did look different.  I went to university which I did enjoy as I made some lovely friends but I had a lot of anxiety I did not want to go out at all but my friends dragged me out which was for my own good!  When I was 22 I had plastic surgery which was on going for a few years.  My nose now looks great the surgeon was brilliant.  People do not stare anymore but the anxiety has never gone away if anything it is worse.  I am mainly fearful of getting dizzy falling over and making a fool of myself,,,...I have fallen over before with the dizziness.  It just rules me the panic before I do anything........shortness of breath, sweaty and this darn dizziness!  When I was 22 I was put on citalopram 10mg which varied over the years between 10mg and 60mg then in September I was put on Sertaline 50mg to see if it could help anymore then went up to 100mg but I felt too spaced out so had to take it back down to 50mg it may have helped a bit but I still get so panicky and dizzy.  I have been to the doctors today and am now going to try Fluoxetine 20mg no idea if that will help coz a lot of these drugs I suppose are for depression and I have never been depressed I just have this awful anxiety that has got me into situations!  People having to help when I have a full blown attack and get so dizzy i can't move.  I go to yoga once a week and that does help as I know it is about the breathing but when I am in the situation I just cannot remember to breathe and I hold my breathe it is so difficult to remain calm in situations.........is there a way or something that can help to calm down an anxiety attack?  I am sick of being the one who is worrying about going out to something that is supposed to be enjoyable but instead becomes a trial.  I am getting an iPod for my birthday in a couple of weeks so hoping that listening to some stuff out and about may help,  how do others deal with their anxiety when they have an attack out and about? Thank you for reading my long post xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dizzyness is what normally starts my symtoms rocking but also something that's difficult to stop I don't know wht stopped my panic attacks I have had anxoety of various things since been a a little girl but when I went to cbt I thought it helped until the 3rd session although it hasn't helped my symtoms that I get I rarely have panic attack now and I guess cbt stopped them I had panic attacks from a earlier age around 4-5 I can remember having them in nursery I also had ocd but I would get them every night until now since cbt it's gone from 4-5 a day to one maybe a month ! I can't think of anything else that stopped them unless it was self talking and writing a diary everytime I had one I don't know but if you have not tried cbt give it a go 😊
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply,  I have seen various councillors which works a little bit then I am back to being anxious again.  I am seeing a councillor at the hospital and she has talked about keeping a diary but I did not get very far as I did not want to think about the incidents!  Sometimes I think I like to be denial and just wish I was as they say 'normal'! 😒. 
  • Posted

Hi your story sound so much like mine. I to am coming 40 soon, I had anorexia from the age of 13 (which I now believe was my way of trying tocope with anxiety and low self esteem). After having treatment for anorexia (at 24) I tried to get my life back find work etc. It worked for a while and I was able to manage my anxiety but from my 30s it has become an issue again. I was made redundant and I started to have panic attacks in a new job so had to leave. I had CBT which helped a lot at the time and I decided to go to college and then university. I struggled butgot through my degree, since then I noticed my anxiety intensify greatly. Like yourself I am preoccupied with losing control and being unable to. cope with my anxiety especially when I am out alone. I suffer with a vertigo feeling, tightness in my chest and a feeling I am not breathing right,blurred vision sometimes and trembling in my hands and feet. I have. been on medication (sertraline) for along time and my doctor increased i to the highest dose (200mg) to help with my anxiety. When I am out alone I list in to music,read;sometimes both which helps distract mefrom focusing on my symptoms and thoughts that something will happen. I am also reading a self help book for extreme worry which I am finding helpful. Hope this helps x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I am sorry you are feeling like that but in some way even that helps a little in knowing I am not alone as I always felt I was the only one as I see everyone else just going out and about without a care whereas I worry about going out........I still go out I have always had that determination but then trying to deal with the anxiety and mainly the dizziness is hard.  It is always said the more you go out the better it gets but I do go out and it is still hard.  My worry is always that I may get dizzy when I am out then coz I am focussing on it it happens I need to stop thinking!  What is this book you are reading?  I am going to try listening to music.....prob not reading as that seems to set my dizziness off I think it is coz I am not looking ahead but down.  How are you these days?  I go through phases of manageable anxiety and uncontrollable anxiety. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.