Extreme health anxiety or a real illness - please help!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I cannot function normally at the moment. My life is consumed with the thought I have a neurological disease. Even as I am typing I feel my fingers are doing their own thing (particularly my little fingers).

I am suffering with pins and needles in arms and legs, numbness in toes and fingers, burning feeling, pains, feeling like i am suffocating,muscle twitches and spasms, extreme fatigue - the worse i have ever gone through.

I am obsessed its MND or MS.

I constantly search the internet to seek out symptoms.

I am very depressed and feel this is taking over my life. I am aggitated and have no get up and go.

Anyone else going through this please

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am also feeling like I have no get up and go. I am doing the minimum of getting up and going to work with the occasion trip to the gym. I just don't feel like eating or anything. I am constantly questioning things and searching for answers to why I am having recurring thoughts and feeling so down. 

I don't think searching for answers help. I know it feels like you are doin something productive but I think it fuels what you are feeling. I don't really know what the alternatives are....

I have read success stories where people accept how they are feeling and just carry on with life. I think this is the way forward...... 

Having strange sensations can be part of anxiety and I imagine the more you worry about it, the more the symptoms will be there. 

• Posted

thank you for your response. Its greatly appreciated.

I have genuinely tried to ignore it. I wake up in a morning hoping these symptoms have gone. I sit at my desk at work and it just gets worse as the day goes on.

I hate going to sleep as I know I will wake up in the night and thoughts come straight in to my head and I start with the pain, tingling etc.

The worry I have is that I am putting this all down to anxiety because I am a very very anxious person but it could be a genuine illness.

Today alone I have experienced

Chest pain

Liver area pain

Pins and needles in arms and legs

Toe numbness

Arm and leg weakness

Eye pain

Feeling sick

Dry mouth

Lump in throat

Feeling like someone is stabbing me with a pin

Cramps in feet

sad

• Posted

Have you been to the doctors about the symptoms?

I can really relate to what you are saying. Mine isn't related to my health but my thoughts in my head. I also feel worse as the day goes on. 

Thinking of you xxxxx

• Posted

to be fair i have a strong family history of anxiety as well as personal anxiety. My son is at uni and goes back next week and I not only focus on my well being but his also. I am obsessive in everything I do - work and personally.

I hope you feel better with your feelings in general and can relate. I have suffered now in one form or another since 1994. That has been in many forms such as Health Anxiety, COD, Fears of flying, Panic attacks

take care xx

• Posted

Yes, I will say that although posting on discussion boards like this is fantastic, searching online for symptoms and "what could it be" will make you worse.

I found an enlarged lymph node in my neck a year or so ago and believed I was dying of cancer. I lost count of how many doctors visits I had and bloodwork done, but even though I had reasurance from the bloodwork coming back normal every time, in my head they were lying to me.

Some of the symptoms you describe sounds like anxiety. I am the same, where I believe there is something medicaly wrong, although there probably is not.

Have you seen a doctor?

I know the feeling of this taking over and nobody will understand just how scary it can be.

Have you checked out Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

I think it might be of interest to you.

Misty

• Posted

thank you for coming back. I havent been to the doctor yet but will make an appt tommorrow. I am scared to go to be honest but realise I need to as either my extreme anxiety will drive me insane or it is something real.

Thanks for your responses and will let you know smile

• Posted

Hi there - 

A few weeks ago, I had very similar symptoms, which made me feel even crazier than I was (as I was going through continual panic attacks for about two weeks).

I did some research and learned that the pins and neels and aches could be caused by hyperventilation, and the website suggested slow abdominal breathing.  I gave it a try, and the pain and pins and needles went away in just a few moments!  Can you try that?  If you lie down, and put your hand on your stomache, try to breathe in and out slowly and breath through your stomache so that your hand rises and falls.  (I had been breathing only from my upper ribs.)

Please try that, and let me know if you see a difference.  

• Posted

first thing stop googling medical subjects. It will make you feel worse and think you have all these illnesses.  Get a medical diagnosis.  Then you will know where you stand. 

Sorry to be hard but you will just worry otherwise.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.