EXTREME hyper/hypo swing

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI all,

I just swung from a TSH of .01 to 112 in 6 weeks (ref. range 0.4-4.5)! I was put on 30 mg of Methimazole initially.  My T3/T4 went down after 6 weeks, but my TSH didn't move. My doctor kept me on the Methimazole and 6 weeks later, while feeling horrible, I asked for a retest and I was at 112! Has anyone else had this experience?  He has cut my medication to 15 mg.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have only seen this pattern in patients who have Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Graves disease plus Hashimoto's.  There was a lady who posted to this Board called Linnet who had that pattern and got her thyroid levels to be stable by using only a high dose of Regular L-Carnitine and other supplements  You may be able to find her postings by searching this Board.  Ask your doc if you could possibly have Hashimoto's.  What I have seen is that Hashimoto patients are too sensitive to both thyroid hormone blocking drugs like Methimazole and thyroid replacement drugs like Levothyroxine.  In Graves disease, the antibodies are attacking the TSH receptors in the pituitary whereas in Hashimoto's, the antibodies are attacking the thyroid gland itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.