Extreme muscle ache on 30mg Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking Mirt since February.  Started off at 15mg then worked up to 45mg.  I have decided to come off them because of the weight gain. Besides I have started taking Pregabalin. Today I have the most extreme muscle ache in my legs and back.  I remember having this pain when I went upto the 30mg.  Would this be a side effect of lowering the dose,  as I don't know why it's only happened on the 30mg.  Never had this on the other doses.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You should talk to your doctor right away. When you use the word "extreme" that means it's unbearable and something is wrong, so better safe than sorry.

After years of being on mirtazapine, 45mg, I decided to come off it last week. Having kicked Paxil and benzos before, both requiring LONG tapers, almost a year, I was afraid I'd have to taper mirtazpaine but I went cold turkey and I feel great. Haven't had a pill in 5 days, and I do have some anxeity and body aches but I know it's temporary so it will pass.

I checked for drug interactions between mirtazapine and pregabalin at Drugs.com and found a moderate interaction:

"Using mirtazapine together with pregabalin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor."

• Edited

hi,i have been on mirt for 18 months and am coming off it now slowly.while on i had leg aches and awful back ache-this came + went.since statring to come off it (6 weeks ago) leg aches + back ache have been bad -in fact i ache all over,like really bad flu.This wears off as day progresses only to start again next day on waking.You have my sympathy.As regards weight gain-how much have you put on since feb?Surely it cannot be alot.I have put on 2 stone.None of my clothes fit so have had to buy new jeans,t-shirts(now large not med),shirts.But decided that seing as this is only temporary i bought from charity shops -mostly new.I will lose it (i hope) but try not to dwell on it.I wld rather be like this than the terrible crazy state i was in when i started taking mirt.
    • Edited

Hi.  The pain is really bad.  Just been to get some gel for it.   I hope it don't last for long.  Had the exact same when I started the 30mg. Can't even bend over and the pain just rips through me.  

I don't know how much weight I've put on, too afraid to weigh myself as I lost quite a bit before starting on Mirt.  The doctor put me on Pregablin for my anxiety.  I don't even know if I should be coming off the Mirt.  I don't want to start going backwards when coming off it.

• Edited

Funny you should mention about pain and weight gain.  I gained what I lost 1. stone but its all gone on my stomach.  I was interested to read about the pain though because although I do suffer with lower back pain, the upper back, legs, joints, arms and feet are wracked with pain, it came on gradually and I honestly dont remember it being that bad not at Christmas anyway.  I have started taking large doses of Vitamin D which can cause bone pain so dont know if its that.  Anyway, thanks for mentioning it.  I hope your pain subsides and you manage to lose weight.  Ive been off the 30mg as it was making me feel unwell and even on 15mg for the last month I havent lost an ounce worst luck!
    • Edited

Hi. I did mention to my GP about two months ago that joint pain and aches was a side effect of Mirtazapine.  But she wouldn't have it.  My pain just came on suddenly.  It's been hell today.  I've been taking Vitamin D for two months now as I was getting a pain in my leg and a swollen foot.   I'm just trying my hardest to reach for a bit of fruit instead of a bar of chocolate.  I didn't think the food craving would be this bad with the medication.
    • Posted

Sorry, and I am not surprised, anything or anybody remotely related to mental health, have tunnel vision, so it's easier just to fill you up with anti depressants rather than look into a possible physical cause.  I want to reduce to 7.5mg but bloomin difficult with a 30mg tablet, and then eventually get off them as I think they are masking something else.  I believe they give this drug for anorexia as it is an appetite stimulant.  I had the most horrendous nausea for 13 weeks day and night, rapid heartbeat and insomnia.  I had another ultrasound in March and that particular radiologist felt I had an overactive thyroid which is being ignored for the time being by the consultant who wants to pump me up with Vitamin D to see if it affects the blood calcium and parathyroid.  So I am in limbo.  I dont want to go back to those nausea days.  Hope you get on okay x
    • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Just a thought for you, why not see if you can get the Sol Tabs of Mirt so you can change the dosage more easily?  I believe they are available everywhere, are you UK?  

Do you plan to do a slow taper to avoid the wd symptoms which are so horrible to bear?

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for mentioning that.  They did start me on the 7.5mg which dissolves under the tongue so evidently they are available in the u.k. mind you that was in a short hospital stay and knowing our surgery they will come up with some excuse probably because they are more expensive.

I think I will give the 15mg say another four weeks as I feel so much better than on the 30mg. Problem for me is that I dont think I should be on any at all, as I was very depressed just feeling very very ill after 13 weeks of day in and day out of nausea and rapid heart rate.  It's funny because when I told the mental health worker that I had cut them in half and felt better, she said oh they must have done their job then.  Conversely about two months ago when I said I felt worse on the 30mg she came up with some excuse.  I dont blame them but it does irritate me this tunnel vision but they dont know any different and are unable to even imagine that a physical illness could be causing one to be anxious.  I wont do a slow taper, I am an all or nothing person and I know what cold turkey is like as I was on bromazepam for around 8 years after my husband died.  I was in australia at the time with my 3 year old daughter and not so much was known about benzodiapines but when I decided to get off them (by the time I got back to the U.K. Mrs Thatcher had then said certain benzos were "luxury items" and Boots were finding it harder and harder to get them and then I only got a prescription for 60 per year as the surgery were anti benzos and they cost me around £60.  When i cut the mirtazapine in half about four weeks ago I did feel groggy for about a week but persevered.  Trouble is Im on high doses of Vitamin D for a suspected parathyroid adenoma and I think vitamin D causes bone pain.  I read in an article that it creates a build up of water between the muscle and the bone and it can last for weeks or months.

Thanks again for your interest.

• Posted

Sorry I left out a word and you cant edit posts.  I should have said I was not very depressed. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.