Extreme pain post op 4 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I am waiting for a call from my surgeon. I had my go out 5 weeks ago. I had a full work up in the er 2 days post op due to extreme back pain.   Yesterday, I tried to add in healthy fats and had spinach with dinner.  In the middle of the night, I had terrible stomach pain which eventually went away. Then today, right after eating, I had a terrible stomach ache on the right side with a stabbing pain that didn't allow me to sit.  Of course, now that I called the surgeon it has passed. I think it's food related. Anyone have this happen?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yep.  Exactly!   Still happens at 9 weeks.  Took me a long time to realize that most if not all the pain at this point is digestion related.  Hard to find foods to eat.  Lost ton of weight.  Going back to my referring physician tomorrow to discuss what to do.  I have eliminated almost everything from my diet.  Cant gain weight  back and still sometimes get bad pains and gas and sometimes yellowish diarrhea.  I will let you know what happens 
    Report Reply
    • Posted

My surgeon didn't have much to say except that I should go to the er if it happens again before I see him tomorrow. Good luck. I'm sorry to hear that you are in the same boat I'll let you know if I get any answers. 

Report Reply
  • Posted

Yes I did that.  Went to ER as surgeon instructed me to if I had bad pain.  when I had excruciating upper abdominal pain in center of abdomen I went and I had to sit in ER for 8 hours total!  They did a CT scan and everything was normal as was blood and urine.  It was then that I started to suspect it was digestive pain...not surgical pain because it had been 8 1/2 weeks!   I was glad it wasn’t something like a blockage or gallstones still in bile ducts but what I dont get is that I was eating more foods and feeling better at 5 weeks.   Now its nine.  Going to try to get some answers as to why this would get worse.  The liver is supposed to adjust and I am 99 % off fats.  Crazy.  I wondered if I have an ulcer because that pain I had in ER felt like that.  But I would need an endoscopy for that.  Dont want a bumch of additional tests at this point.  Dr will probably refer me to a GI doctor.  Lets keep each other posted.  Thx
    Report Reply
    • Posted

That's exactly why I am avoiding the er. I had a ct scan 2 days after surgery and it was all clear.  I am convinced it's digestion issues but the pain episode was very extreme.   Good plan to keep one another posted.  💜

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Joan ! Sorry to hear you've been in so much pain and had gall bladder out too.Please try digestive enzymes from natures sunshine  company !   Take with every meal  .Also take probiotic every evening too best you can get maybe natures sunshine too , I think your in America so you should be able to get them I am in England I get them off line . I have still got my gall bladder although I've had  gall stone removed from my bile duct and my bile duct widened by ERCP ! have lost so much weight because I was wrongly diagnosed for at least 4 months. So your liver should now be  dripping the bile for digestion and maybe dripping more too and my bile duct is dripping more bile This can cause stomach pain and very painful it is too .A doctor in our hospital said the pain I was having was due to malabsorption of the bile and he put me on colestramin maybe spelt wrong ! Look it all up anyway this helped my pain after 3 days also keep your bowels regular because have to much bile can cause trouble there too. I do hope this helps you because my goodness I was in so much pain and could not eat .i am waiting now to see if I make more stones I will have to have the gall bladder out but until I put some more weight on I am hanging on to it . Have a good week end 💐

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thx!  I am on a probiotic and was on enzymes for weeks.  Dr took me off enzymes after my ER visit.  Starting me on prilosec.   I see GI doctor soon. 
      Report Reply
  • Posted

One thing you can try..this has helped me lately. I take a zantac 150 in AM with water and then wait 30-45 minutes to eat breakfast.   I take a probiotic after breakfast.   After I eat lunch and if I have weird pain I take a gasX tablet.   I take another zantac 150 before dinner and wait again 30 minutes or so.  And again, if I get gassy and get pains I take a gasX again.  Also, I eat small meals for the 3 meals and have 2 other mini meals throughout day.  Maybe this could help u too.   But isnt it strange to have to take so much stuff when I am eating so carefully??!!  It’s frustrating for sure.  
    Report Reply
    • Posted

Well I figured out that this week's pain is from avocado. It's one of the first things that caused my gb attacks and I had too much this week. Just got back from the surgeon who told me that it takes 6 weeks for the liver duct to expand and that I should focus on eating carbs and protein and to avoid fat.  He originally said I could eat anything.  I stated my frustration and was told I can't fight time.  I didn't even mention other pain I have been having bc he said eveything looks good.  I'm going to give it a few weeks and then call my gi doc if I I still have issues. This is just all so frustrating. I did find that taking a digestive enzyme helped me with lunch yesterday.  

Report Reply
    • Posted

Well maybe you will improve on week 6.  I didn’t. 😞.   Had my dr visit today and as I suspected he referred me to a GI dr. on July 9.   He switched me to prilosec for 10 days or so instead of zantac.  I would rather do enzymes. He said no for now.  My pain last night and today was different..felt like the old surgery pain again.  Probably just more pain related to digestive issues.  What a mess!!!  We gotta hang in there and figure it out right?!!  😊

Report Reply
    • Posted

Good luck at the gi doc.  I know. This week I have like side stitch pain as if I was running and when I bend over.  I hope the gi doc gives you answers.   Is there a reason your doc said no enzymes?
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I think it was because I was having extreme pain in upper stomach kind of where an ulcer might be.  The doctor thought this could aggravate whatever is going on.  I do plan after seeing the GI doctor to resume the enzymes and stop the antacids and see what happens.  I hate medication!!  
      Report Reply
    • Posted

HI it took me 9 weeks after I had stone removed and bile du t widened for me to eat anything much and I haven the even had my gall bladder out but like I've said before now just about right taking my digestive enzymes and probiotics and if I get terrible pain I take the colestrmyne for bile malabsorption ! it's terrible you don't realise when your gall bladders playing up how precious it's been and people do not understand either .Ive now got t got to put on weight I've lost nearly 2 stone and canntmhave my gall bladder out till I've put some weight on so my doctor said let's hope it does not make anymore stones anytime soon keep well all 💐

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hey Joan,

Hope all is well. I had my gallbladder removed January 26 of this year and I am still absolutely miserable. I've seen GI Had them stick the scope down my throat  And everybody says nothings wrong with me. I don't think I was this bad before getting it removed. But I am going to try them enzymes hope this goes away quickly

Bill

Report Reply
    • Posted

Bill, you sound like me.  10 weeks tomorrow and in many ways worse than I was at 5 weeks.  I have a GI appointment July 9th.  Next step is to rule out an ulcer.    My guess is all the tests will be normal and I will still be miserable.   I hope its an ulcer....something that can be treated!!

Go ahead and try the enzymes.   I thought they helped me but dr. took me off in case I do have an ulcer.  They woukd aggravate it.   They have me on prilosec for a few weeks.  You could try that.  I sorta feel my pains are digestion related 

Report Reply
    • Posted

I wanted to update you.  After new and different pain upon bending this past weekend I decided to go super low fat and this has helped.  
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Good!   I have been doing that all along. Still have lots of  twingy pains but I do think low fat in general helps with digestion post gallbladder.  
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Yup I feel the same way I feel like my Digestion is in slow-motion like it's not going fast enough everything is building up inside. Yeah I hope you have an ulcer as well :-) good luck

Report Reply
    • Posted

They canceled on me!!!  Now its the 24th.  Those “ulcer “ pains have not come back and all pains are way less noticeable.   Eating better too.  Still keeping the appt I guess unless all pain is completely gone.  
      Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up