extreme panic and anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm prescribed klonopin and lexapro. I've taken my klonopin but I just can't this particular extreme panic attack to subside. Heavy sweating and shaking and all the other normal symptoms. What can I do to stop this?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Please try to breathe. It will pass. Most of us on this page get this so often. You are ok and completely safe. It will pass xxx
  • Posted

Hi Griffin, stop scaring urself this is only panic. Tell urself it is only panic don't run from it. Tell urself this will not hurt me it is only uncomfortable and now distract urself anyway u can. Write something to me to make urself focus on writing anything to occupy ur mind at this moment. Don't run from it. it is only panicat this moment because u are feeling and obsessing over ur body symptoms and they are only symptoms of ur fear and terror I had them for a few years they are terrible. I know first hand. Let me know if u need a hand out at this scary moment
    • Posted

Thanks so much Kathy. I always tell myself that this is just a surge of adrenaline that can't last forever. The body eventually cannot release anymore. I find myself on Instagram and I intentionally follow people that post hilarious things and scroll through their pages and the laughter and just doing that seems to help just by distracting my mind from obsessing over the physical symptoms. Its just some times they're so bad it feels like every cell in my body is just violently vibrating and nothing I can do will stop it other than time or taking more klonopin than prescribed which will work and has but then I'm just going to keep creating a greater tolerance which is what I'm trying to avoid.
  • Posted

Sit down in a chair and get yourself comfortable. Close your eyes and put your hands, palms down, on your tummy with the tips of your middle fingers touching. Take a long, slow breath in, until the tips of your fingers move apart. Then let the breath go, just as slowly, until your fingers move back in and the tips are touching again. Repeat this as many times as you need to. This deep breathing exercise gives you something to focus on to slow your breathing down.

Do you have a hobby? I find adult colouring books are a brilliant way to focus my mind on something. The shapes and colours really help to give me something to slow my thoughts and calm down. Taking a nice, long hot bath helps as well.x

• Posted

Thank you so much Arwen for the helpful ideas. I practice the belly breathing technique a lot. But these get sooo bad hat I can't even bring myself to do them. I just pace shaking and sweating buckets. It seems time is the only factor that helps once my body can't release the adrenaline anymore. The bath idea sounds great. Never thought of that one. And I am a record producer so sometimes I'll sit down and remix an album for fun but again sometimes its just so intense I can't bring myself to sit down. Its so crippling sometimes and this is the first forum I've ever been on. I figured I had to do something else. Just focus in on typing these responses helps a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.