Extreme sour taste for 4 years; desperate for ideas

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 40 year old male, originally from Armenia but have been living in Scandinavia for the past 3 years. For about 4 years I've been suffering from a horrible, extremely sour taste in my mouth. The taste is similar to that of an unripened, green banana. It comes and goes seemingly randomly but has a tendency to appear after exercising for a while, when I'm very hungry or after some meals. When it appears, my mouth also feels very dry, even though I have the normal amount of saliva that I've always had. Most days it's so strong at night that it wakes me up and because of this I'm often sleep deprived.

I've been to many doctors and none of them were able to help. Acid reflux has been ruled out. Two different dentists said my teeth and gum appear healthy, and I don't have bad breath. I've had various blood tests to check my liver, kidney, vitamins and other stats and all came back within their normal ranges. I wasn't on any medication since the sour taste started but the last few months I've been on anti-herpes medication.

The sour taste started shortly after I got a poor quality dental crown in Armenia, which later got infected, but the tooth was removed more than a year ago and replaced with a good quality implant. I also had amalgam fillings and, having heard about the amalgam controversy, I had them replaced with plastic fillings in desperation.

My GP is tired of me visiting him about this sour taste and basically said that some health problems are undiagnosable and that I need to accept this. But this is making my life devoid of joy and I'm desperate for any ideas to pursue. Anyone has any experiences with this? Thanks in advance for any input.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

This usually happens with infections or kidney disease. But unripened banana taste is not that bad. 
  • Posted

I am really in doubt that this is it, but I've heard of this thing that can cause bad breath and it's worth a look see. Assuming you still have your tonsils take a good look at them. Do they have little pockets of white of yellowish spots? If so they may be the culprit. These can be removed will a Q-tip followed by a swish of warm salt water. You will find instruction of this online. When someone first mentioned this to me I was very doubtful but saw the information on a reputable website and was convinced. I personally have not had the problem.

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestions. I had something similar on my tonsils quite some time ago but it was resolved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.