Extreme trouble sleeping and always feel like I'm living a dream

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been stressed for about 3 years or so and have had constant anxiety. It's gotten to the point where I have almost completely depersonalized myself and feel like I'm dreaming 24/7. Like nothing matters at all and I'm living in some kind of simulation. 

Now, I have so much trouble sleeping that I wake up almost immediately after drifting off and start to panic, feeling like I skipped a breath. I manage to keep myself under control, but my brain definitely tells me that it does not want to sleep. The only time I'm actually able to get to bed is when I'm dead tired. I'll wake up in a panic at least 3-4 times per night and it makes me fear actually going to bed.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I went to an anxiety evening class once who told me you should create rules for bedtime to help with your sleep patterns. These include:

- only using your bedroom for sleeping (i.e. don't sits and watch TV in their) so you associate the room with sleep

- no excercising in evening as adrenaline stays in your system for hours

- no caffeine after 6pm

- no blue light such as mobile phones

- if after 15 mins you're not asleep, get up. Do something else until you feel tired and then try again. If same thing happens repeat even if you've gone all night without sleep. Then get up and do your day. Try again that night.

- don't day nap

It's all about training the brain to associate sleep in a certain place and to associate it positively. It's on the mind website if you want more details. Right now you associate sleep with trouble and panic attacks because that's what you're experiencing so it's near impossible to sleep. You need to re-learn a sleep pattern.

• Posted

Maybe go try taking to a therapist & when I couldn’t sleep I took melatonin it’s s natural sleep supplement. Take it an hour before when you want to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.