Extreme weight gain, itching with dermatographica, shortened menstrual periods

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have always suffered from gastro issues. I was diagnosed at 15 with IBS (I am now 26) As a teenager I was extremely thin, and never put weight on. I had chronic, muscusy/greasey dirrhea. When I turned 23 I started putting on weight uncontrollably. I have gained 70 pounds in two years. My gastro issues have turned into constipation with bloating and not being able to fully relieve myself. I still have bouts of diaherrea every few weeks. I also am constantly itchy and will wake up in an itching fit. It leaves welt looking marks, dermatographica. I sweat prefusely all of the time. I have HORRIBLE fatigue. My period has gone from 5 days to 2 and have been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder. I have tried Lexapro, cymbalta, and wellbutrin. I have never had that "sun coming out from behind the dark clouds" feeling. I gave up taking them because they each had side effects that were bot worth dealing with so I've been off medication for about 6 months now. I'm managing my anxiety pretty well, but it is always lingering. I have tested negative for celiacs and cushings. I have gone to the ER 2 twice in 3 years because my stomach has hurt so bad. Both times I was sent home with a mental health packet "because my anxiety was probably causing bouts of irritable bowl syndrome" Am I crazy for thinking there's something more to this? Please, if I am, let me know because I would love to just call it whatever at this point.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Get tested for allergies to food. Proton pump inhibitors helped with my stomach pain and also helped with my ability to lose weight. Welcome to adulthood many skinny people plump up including myself. It gets harder the older you get to keep the weight off. Get a micro nutrient tests done to see if you are lacking in any dietary minerals and such. For some vitamin D and Magnesium among others is a blessing if they are low, better or as good as meds.

You are still young, get in as good shape as you can. Exercise and eat correctly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.