Extremely down

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm feeling so low at the moment. I'm experiencing a heavy or crushing feeling. Does anyone else have these symptoms ? . I've been on citalopram for around 8 weeks, and just started mirtazapine last night as I wasnt making much progress, in fact I feel like I've been going backwards these last few weeks. Feeling very down nearly all day. Any help or advice appreciated. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I can relate to feeling down pretty much all the time. I go to work then head home and hide away in my bedroom. I haven't been going to the gym or eating well - I know these things will help me to feel better but I don't seem to care. I'm gaining weight and I feel uncomfortable but I can't seem to get motivation to do anything 😞 sleep is the one thing I truly look forward to!!!! 

• Posted

Hi Jimmy.  Cit does take a while to settle down, often up to around 3 months and during the early stages you will unfortunately get highs and lows, sometimes it feels worse than before you started taking it.  This is totally normal for this type of meds, SSRIs.  It usually does pass and gets better every day.  Mirtazapine is an excellent anti depressant but it does sometimes have the tendency to make you feel very very low to begin with.  Please give the citalopram a little longer to work, if you read all the forums on here about it you will see everyone says the same thing - it can feel worse before it feels better but it really does get there, it just takes time to settle.  xx
    • Posted

Thanks for getting back to me. Hopefully the good effects will start to kick in asap. Mirtazapine seems to have mixed opinions on here but I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones. Do you mind me asking if you've been on mirtazapine yourself ? 
  • Posted

Sorry you're feeling this.

I can relate to the havy sensation too. I find I feel down and heavy most when its the weekend and I don't have the demands of work routine to push me along.

As loxie says, SSRIs can take weeks to have their full effect. But at 8 weeks it might be time to go back to the docs. There are lots of SSRis and it might be you just need a different one,

• Posted

thanks for everyone's replt. Really appreciate it. 😀
  • Posted

Hi jimmy

I dont know about the heavy feeling but do know about the rest. I was on cit for 8 wks but I felt totally wiped out and nauseous. I was changed to fluoxetine nearly 7 wks  ago and am starting to feel better over the last week, went through some of the side effects all over again but started some positive changes too.

Its a long hard process but you have to remember you can and will get better.its not easy when you're feeling so cr@p I know but stick with it, it gets better in time.

Hope you start feeling better soon. Look after yourself

Vix

• Posted

Hi Vix. Many thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it. 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.