Extremely sick/nauseous/tired after having the flu

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I have no idea if what I'm struggling with is IBS, but I'd like to see what people think. I read that IBS flare ups after the flu are pretty common, but there are also many other things that this could be.

I think this started about 3 weeks ago when I got my wisdom teeth out, and took antibiotics for about 5 days (Amoxicillin.) I had to stop taking them because I felt very ill and nauseous and could not participate in any normal activities. And then this past Tuesday, I became very ill with the flu. I had no energy, had a fever, cold chills, stuffed nose, cough, and a painful headache. Many of these symptoms started to go away by Friday or Saturday, but what replaced it was a severe stomach pain and nausea. Friday morning I woke up extremely uncomfortable, and it is now Monday and this has not gone away. For the first three days, the pain would go away when I was eating, and it almost felt like I was back to normal until I would stop eating again. Now, it's pretty much constant. It feels like a hollow/empty feeling in my stomach, and I do not really feel hungry or full ever. The nausea affects my chest, head, and throat, and I have also felt extremely low and depressed the past couple days. I do not have diarrhea and have not vomited and have not been able to, even days when I felt I needed to. I saw a doctor and he prescribed me anti-nausea medication but it has not done anything, and I have also been trying calcium supplements in case it had to do with Acid Reflux. I'm wondering if this could be something like the H. pylori infection, or if it is IBS. Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Try a tsp of apple cider vinegar(the real stuff with the mother, Bragg’s.) in a glass Of water 5 minutes before eating. It gets the acid going to digest the food better. Probably kills off the bad guys too. These antibiotics are good but they wreck your gut. Good luck!

I learned this from my osteopath. 

• Posted

A calcium supplement may only help if you had a calcium deficiency.  If you have acid reflux, you would normally take an antacid which is not the same as a calcium supplement.   If you had acid reflux, you  would know about it.  Common symptoms of this would be acid burning in your stomach, sometimes chest pain or nausea, a sour taste in your mouth or a cough which is common with silent reflux when you don’t feel the acid straight away.

You may still have gastric flu which can take a few weeks to clear up.  Gastric bugs can also trigger IBS,  However, you should see a doctor to rule out other causes like H Pylori.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.