Eyes changed color after cateract surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had cataract surgery on both eyes in August . Just noticed last week and half that I no longer have brown eyes they are a pretty hazel color now ???what happened ! I had the Restor lens ! I will see my doctor oct. 23 again . Hope he can tell me . 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janice - funny you should ask this as it was something I asked my eye doctor pre surgery.  The answer is no however the cataract itself likely made your eye more opaque and appear brown.  This would especially be true for those with lighter coloured eyes.  I had my surgeries 2 weeks apart and my family could tell which one had the new lens.  I have blue eyes and the operated eye was now a more brilliant blue!

Cataracts can take years to form and impede eyesight (although my own developed rapidly) so you may not have seen your eyes gradually appear a bit more brown.   

What you see out of your new eyes is likely brighter too.  Before surgery everything would have had a yellowish brown tint.

• Posted

Janice, I'm happy to hear you like the hazel color smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.