Fainting out of nowhere

Posted , 4 users are following.

Background: I'm a 21 year old female. I've had low iron levels before but not serious. I have iron pills which I haven't been taking lately (I'm going to start taking them again).

I felt absolutely fine this morning. I walked an hour to work which I always do on Saturdays (ie it's not an abnormal amount of exercise). I had a banana and toast for breakfast before I left.

I was standing around listening to someone talking at work. Felt fine. Suddenly out of nowhere, I started to lose my vision and hearing- like the lights and sound were being dimmed. I also felt cold and started sweating. I sat down and it got worse. The person I was talking to tried to get me to walk outside. That's when I guess I actually fainted because I don't remember walking outside. But when I woke up, it felt dream-like and I was on the floor. I started to feel like I was going to vomit.

After a while I got into a chair and slowly my vision/hearing returned. I no longer feel like vomiting either. I have a headache now.

It was so strange because I felt so completely fine before this happened. So I'm thinking maybe it's low iron but can low iron cause that?! Last time I had my iron checked, the doctor said it was low but not that bad, pretty normal for a young female. It's not like I have anemia...

I also haven't been feeling that tired lately. Isn't fatigue a more common symptom of iron deficiency? Obviously I'll take my iron pills again. But I was wondering if it's safe to assume low iron is the cause of this? What else could it be?

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

def take the iron pills if your low iron, i would get blood work done first to check              electrolytes (pottassium), blood sugar (check for low blood sugar), and iron levels aswell as fertin. it almost sounds like low blood sugar to me, if it happens again try eating a candy to see if it goes away
  • Posted

It could be low iron. I take iron pills every day. My blood tests usually come back fine! I'm tired at times too. It could also be low blood sugar, high  or low blood pressure. You need a good check up.  Or you need vitamins! Or you might need potassium! Have your doctor run tests on low potassium, and other vitamins.

• Posted

Bad bad bad person geting you to try and walk outside, basic first aid for dizzyness, head between knees, or head lower than heart, you body took care of that for you didn't it, you woke up on the floor.

Causes not only low iron but low blood pressure, standing up to quickly and your system does not deal with the differences it needs to make in your blood pressure.

I would be inclined to think you had a low bloods pressure episode and your brain was deprived of oxygen, result fainting, nausea, and headache all point to that.

If this has happened today get to the ER dept, and if it happens again ring an ambulance at the time, they can take your blood pressure at the time and report to the hospital what they find.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.