Fall 4 weeks post TKR, when should I restart exercises/physio?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, am new to this. I am 50 and had TKR 4 weeks ago after suffering for 25 years following sports injury and subsequent knee reconstruction. Have done really well since op, d/c from physio at 2 weeks with 1 stick and a programme of exercises which I have religiously followed at home. On Sunday, slipped down 4 steps at home and bent knee completely underneath my butt (which had not happened for 25 years). Excruciating pain and hubbie had to call ambulance. I was terrified I'd damaged TKR but x-ray showed I'd been incredibly lucky and joint intact and soft tissue damage. A&E doc said rest for 1 week then restart exercising. I've been re-referred to physio but don't know if I should see them this or next week as although pain and stiffness worse since accident, I don't want to fall behind. Any advice? I feel I've lost confidence. Thank you.

3 likes, 18 replies

Report / Delete

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I fell the full length of my stairs at about 4 weeks, took one step down on wrong leg and off I went.  Didn't bend my leg badly but I was very very shaken, and as I was alone at the time it took me some time to drag myself to the bannister and pull myself up.  I was quite poorly for several days, very shaken up, bruised and very sore in places I didn't know I had.  I also felt very shaky and cold, and spent most of the time on my bed with a heat pad until I started to feel better with no thought of exercises.  Once the initial shock faded and the soreness went I resumed normal life, walking the dog and driving (my surgeon cleared me to drive at 4 weeks) and exercising.  The only lasting affect has been my reluctance to use the stairs properly, and I am only just starting to go up and down stairs one foot after another at 14 weeks. 

If you have been cleared by x-ray, then I would slowly resume exercises, and see your physio as soon as you can. Good luck and do keep posting.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Liz - thanks for your reply. Poor you - that sounds awful - especially as you were by yourself. It's really shaken me up and I'm more sore today than I had been yesterday or Monday. Not just my knee, but hip and back too. Good on you for getting back on the stairs - I've really made myself use mine but every time I get to where I slipped I find myself gripping the bannisters more tightly and I feel slightly sick. I've got an appt for next Tuesday with the physio as feel I need a bit more rest before I get right back into the swing of things.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Poor you! I'd do the exercises which you feel you can cope with. Unless you have to travel a long way for physio, I would try and go this week. I always find that the physiotherapists are helpful and will advise you or refer you elsewhere if necessary.

Best Wishes.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Polly - thanks for your reply, I'm trying to keeping everything moving at the moment, don't feel I can get right back into exercises yet as pretty sore today... but I've got an appt w/ physio for early Tuesday so I hope to be re-assessed then as to what I should be doing. The A&E doctor also thought I'd torn ligaments as there was a bit of play on one side of my knee, but I hope seeing as I'm only at an early stage this shouldn't be lasting. Cheers.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

That is my nightmare scenario . . it must have been absolutely awful. My worst fall was backwards in the bathroom and that shook me up!  If you don't feel confident to get back to exercising, I would not have thought another week was going to be any problem . .I'm not surprised you have lost confidence.  they do tell us that in fact that knee joint is pretty tough, but the damage to your soft tissue must be excruciating!  Good luck, and don't overdo things!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi - it was my nightmare scenario too and then it became a reality. I screamed the house down believe me... and when the paramedics came they dosed me up with more painkillers than I ever imagined I would ever take. I'm still on more painkillers than I was prior to the fall but I know this will improve. Well - the docs are right - this knee joint of mine certainly must be tough to withstand the fall I had. Thanks for your support :o))
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Last time I had TKR my husband was with me and although he was very ill himselfit was a comfort not to be alone with all that pain and restricted movement. Now I am widowed I am anxious about being alone after the op and wondered whether to employ an au pair for a few weeks. y husband Wasn't  impressed with my screaming while exercising so I used to play Humphrey Littleton really LOUD  as a smoke screen. I think I might be more relaxed uwith a paid help than a family member next time. What are your thoughts on this? We need moral support rather than criticism don't we?

?u

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So sorry to hear you are going to face this on your own daphne. I really think if you can employ someone to give you a hand for a few weeks, it would be better.  those first frew weeks when you are reliant on two crutches for everything make ordinary things so difficult.  How do you carry a cup of tea to the table, or all those ordinary little things which we so take for granted before the op!  I'm lucky to have a home help come in four hours a morning and the house is actually a lot cleaner than it ever was before!! (shame on me. . . .)_

Actaully, music with a rythm does seem to help with some of the exercises, although the painful ones are best done more slowly . . I'm not giving myself a lot of grief that way at the moment.  My bend is only 90, but I can do everything I want (except going down stairs properly ). . hope when it isn't so inflamed I shall crack that one!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Daphne - I think if you can afford it you should definitely have someone to help you for at least the first few weeks at home. It will be someone to talk to, to help keep your spirits up, to be there so you can share your successes and halve the worries you might have.  Someone to be your positive when you're feeling a little low. I never thought I'd go on a forum such as this and the comments you and others have made have really helped - so don't forget you'll also have this too as a backup!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Daphne,  I'm joining the throng and saying that getting someone there to help  would be a good idea.  I have a brother and nephew close by if I need help or just company.  My cat is cool too.  I would let you borrow him but I need him right now.  Best of luck and hang in there...
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I think I can afford it. it. I have chosen a private hospital this time but NHS have kindly offered  to foot the bill so I am "quids in!"so to speak. A Care Nurse would cost over £800 a week butI don't need full time care. A foreign student would be cheaper and more interesting and as long as she can fill a hot water bottle, use a microwave and not burn water we'll get along famously with perhaps franglais and broken English. My Deaf Signing will be useful too. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I too have a cat. Stuffed but weighted and very realistic. My husband bought it'd or an early birthday present because he knew he was dying and guessed  I would something more comforting than a pillow to cuddle. He was right on both counts, bless him!
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up