Fall

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello everyone. So I'm 5 weeks post R TKR and I pulled a stupid stunt today. I got my foot caught in a tangle of computer wires and took a fall. Luckily because of my preoccupation with my knee lately it was the first thing I thought of as I started falling and I ended up sacrificing my face for my knees. A split lip, swollen nose, and egg on my forehead but not even a scrape to my knees. And my new knee even lifted me back up off the floor! Just had to vent as I sit here missing the wedding I was suppose to go to. But also celebrate my healthy knee.

4 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry for your social engagement taking the Bruner of your misfortune. The prosthesis is very durable but watch out down line 3 weeks or so for any type onset of pain or swelling. If this should happen get hold of your surgeon as fluid might possibly build up. A year ago next month my blood pressure took a nasty drop and I passed out head 1st and split my forehead open. 3 weeks later the swelling and pain came. In my case I had fought a staph infection for 10 months and the fall caused t he infection to reoccur. That of course wouldnt be anything for you to be concerned about but there is an outside chance of the fluid buildup.
  • Posted

Ouch, I am sure that hurt!

Good advice from ofg above.

I managed to break my little toe on my right foot at 6 wks post left TKR.

Take care of your new knee! Glad it was able to lift you up, but sorry that you are missing the wedding.

• Posted

Thanks for the heads up OFG. I'll certainly keep an eye out.

Debz-how do we do these things to ourselves? Hope your toe is healing.

• Posted

Have to laugh about it! Looks like you have kept your humor, too.

I managed to break it by smashing it into my cane, my tool to help me walk. lol

Never was a klutz before. smile

Yes, slowly healing. Hinders the walking for my knee. rolleyes

Hope your lip and nose heal quickly!

Maybe it has something to do with our name!?

😁

• Posted

Nice moves to protect that KNEE!!!

The rest feels awful, but you handled the fall in a super way!

It is VERY EASY to fall! Also, balance doesn't always come back for awhile after surgery.

Sorry you are missing the wedding, but glad you protected that KNEE!!!

• Posted

How is your day going Cheryl?
    • Posted

Going really good! They are discharging me TOMORROW!

I'm off all IVs, have been eating well, and walked up and down the hallway TWICE today!

Best thing is my favorite nurse from last time is here tonight! Cassie is the one that stepped in to put me on the bed when the PTs refused to listen to me say that I thought I was going to FAINT. Cassie is my HERO, and she will also be the one to take off my bandage and dress my incision.

This experience with RIGHT KNEE has been going SO WELL! I am VERY, VERY grateful!

How's your lip, nose and head tonight?

• Posted

Yay Cheryl! That is fantastic news!!

Glad your favorite nurse is on duty

I am so happy for you that you are doing so well!! wink

• Posted

Deborah,  I am so sorry about your fall.  I too fell about 7 wks post TKR because of stuff on the floor and sacrificed my other leg and butt to save my knee so I have some sciatica on the opposite side but knee ok
    • Posted

Amy, sorry to hear you fell, too. I have to keep after the family to make sure there is always a clear path.

Sometimes others don't think about things like that.

• Posted

In a very oximoronic fashion you have boosted your self-confidence.  I bet in the back of your mind there was always this doubt about how strong your new knee is, and would it stand up to a fall.  Now you know.  It should not give you any future issues if you are not having any now. Shame about the wedding though (hope they will save you some cake!)

Hope your face heals soon

Words of advice...... get those cables tidied and out the way

• Posted

Cheryl, so glad everything is going so well. I had a favorite nurse also and hope she's there when I go back in Jan to have my right knee done.

As for me, the forehead and nose are doing ok but my top lip looks like a sausage. Back to my mantra, "ice is my friend" 😃

You're right Sue. My knee did do well through all of this. Here's to great technology!

• Posted

Try popsicles. Tasty and extremely effective for lips!

Don't forget to take some Ibuprofen. It will lessen the swelling and help with any pain.

Cassie and I had time to talk as she changed my bandage. So nice!

• Posted

Deborah 90838

Sorry to hear of your mishap but at least your 5 week old new knee did a good job getting you upright. My 5 week old L TKR zips giving me nothing but grief or is this how 5 week old new knees are supposed to feel. Stiffness/pressure is horrid and refuses to ease up. I'm longing for a breakthrough. . My op was on Sept 7th

Best wishes to you and do keep posting as we are at the same stage.

• Posted

Margaret, I'm so sorry your knee is taking so long to come around. My knee is doing extremely well but my therapist said that 99% of people don't do as well. I'm hoping that my right knee doesn't have any complications in Jan.

Think positive thoughts, take one day at a time, rest, rest, rest, and feel free to message me any time you need to vent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.