Family

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is it normal that when i am having an "episode" and feeling down and irritable etc. i resent my family? I know that sounds terrible and i hate myself for it, but i cant stand to be around them and prefer the company of my friends or strangers, yet i can barely cope to be round my own blood. I feel this despite the fact that i love them dearly and they are the most supportive people in the world. Is this just me?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Flobstacle,

Nope it's not just you. Almost everyone I know, including me, either lash out at  their nearest and dearest or seethingly resent them - its the same thing. I don't fully understand why this is, only know that it is par for the course, don't worry and hang on in there

• Posted

I know, I have the same feelings.  
    • Posted

Same here. I hate the guilty feeling aswell because deep down I know they're the most important people. I've learnt the hard way that you don't realise what you have/had until it's gone. This forum really does help in that we each have these feelings that don't feel right or we think is wrong and it's only us that have them. But it's part of being human and is normal.

• Posted

what u just said is not making any sense... one side u r admitting that u love them dearly nd on the other u r like u cannot tolerate them... nd u prefer ur frnds over ur family..  i am sure that u love ur family more than u love ur frnds..but do u ever think why u prefer ur frnds over ur family??? i think that ur frnds understand u more than ur family..nd this is because that may be u spent more time with ur frnds... 

sometimes family gets a bit annoying because of some circumstances but in a family every member has to ignore nd let go of some things that we sometimes dont like but at the same it is liked by other famiy member.. but the thing that make us to ignore is loVE... love of family...this is normal..

but what u r talking about is smthng that develops when we let things to go on the way they r going nd do nothing to make them move on right way... it starts with a communicaton gap..nd this gap gets bigger nd bigger with time.. in the meantime we still love them but our priorities changed... (frnds over family) try to spend time with ur family... this is ur only solution... try to enjoy their company...cox u developed this feeling at this spot of ur life...u were not born with this... nd why u developed this is smthng u know much better than me...there may be any reason,any circumstance that develop this feelimg in u..this is not ur mistake nd u cannot be blamed for this...but WHAT UR MISTAKE IS THAT U LET THAT THING TO BROUGHT CHANGE IN U... 

there is a fact that may be at sometimes we deny to forgive our frnds for their mistakes...but when we talk about family...we have to forgive them by all means..we have to... this is smthng that makes FAMLIY, A FAMILY...!!!

• Posted

What you said makes COMPLETE sense. It is possible to love someone but not feel that you like them even if you don't know the reason why.

This is normal & you should NOT force yourself or put pressure on yourself to spend time with them. Yes family are important but so is your mental health. You need to do what you feel confortable doing & if your family are supportive they will understand that & always be there.

Family is just a word, you can't allow unacceptable behaviour & forgive every time just because they are family.

It sounds like you have good family & friends & you just need to do what is best for you. You've done absolutely NOTHING wrong.

Try not to worry x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.