Fear of

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone. I have a very strong anxiety nowadays, for about a month now. 4 years ago I had a really bad period with constant anxiety and daily panic attacks and i was afraid of diseases. That time the cause was the sudden loss of my childhood friends which I couldn't handle. After 6 months of psixhotherapy I was over it without any medication. It was pretty hard though but I won smile

My boyfriend broke up with me a couple of months ago and I started to experience anxiety sympthoms again. It started with a sudden panic attack at my workplace, and now I am afraid about everything. My new phobia is the feat of not moving my legs and getting paralysed forever. Thats why i continously checking my legs if "they still move". I know its crazy but this is the focus of my fear now. Is this normal? I mean having these kind of thoughts in my head. It can't happen, is it?? I think that I am afraid of this because I have a friend who died in bone cancer and in her last months she got paralysed. And have another friend who suffered an accident and now he is in wheelchair...

Do you think that is there relation with my fear and my phobias?

Thank you very much for your answers!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes there is a relation. You need to get into therapy i dont know what to say to help you other then that. You are absorbing symptoms and playing them out. Very bad thing you are doing. 
    • Posted

Yeah I know it's bad. I have to work on getting over these tragedies around me. I don't let the anxiety grow on me - I do everything like before( for example I just got back from a 1 week Sicily trip by plane yesterday!!!). I have this bad and silly thought which I can't control. Do you think that it will end soon? It is pretty frightening.

• Posted

I would say of course your fear is because of your friend.

We don't realize how fragile life is sometimes...until someone close to us dissappears...then I think...well..if that could happen to HER/HIM..why not me?

And on top of breaking off a relationship...you have some stress.

You got thru this before...possibly you will again..if the pain gets too great.....than see a psychiatrist and get medication aide..that is what I would do.

Be kind to yourself..eat well...excersise and live every moment to its fullest.

• Posted

Thank you Missy, your answer helped a lot. I'm focusing on being strong and positive and these bad feeling should go away. I will see my therapist weekly and do sports. HOPE THE BEST!!!

• Posted

Good I'm glad you feel better.

Keep your head up...I think it is normal to be scared with all you have seen.

• Posted

Sophie, honey, there is certainly a connection between what you have seen your loved ones go through and what you yourself are suffering.

Unfortunately, your anxiety has come back, so you need to get some more psychotherapy.

And no, I don't think you're crazy!

Love Tess xx

• Posted

Dear Tess, it means a lot to me what you wrote! I'll keep you posted of my mood, hope that it will get better from day to day. My psychatrist is on holiday now(unfurtunately) but she is very reliable, I totally trust her. Any advices, experiences are always welcome! smile

Love,

Sophie

• Posted

Hello Sophie

We all have our way of going across the other site and it is no good considering you will suffer the same problem of those who went to the other side.

If your legs seem ok I would consider living your life on the understanding you will be ok. To exersise your legs and keep fit swimming is one way that will tone those mucles and it will also help your blood circulation 

If you are still concerned you could go back and talk to your GP and see if you need further tests to put your mind at rest.

Part of my PSA is continious sciatica and my legs are still working so if I am ok, please be ok as well, It is actually quite rare to loose total movement in both legs.

I do not know how old you are although I feel you are still young at heart.

Try to put your concerns to sleep and relax your concerns, you will be ok and you really know you will get good support here

All the best, keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your answer!! My legs are phisically totally OK, I have the fear of losing the connection between my mind and body - can't move even though I want to. I saw my friends suffering from this maybe that's why my phobia and anxiety is focusing on this disease. Please tell me that it can't just happen suddenly smile

Btw I'm 24 now, and have always been super sensitive for everything which has benefits too because I care about others very much. But the disadvantage is that I can easily get in to this strong deep mood. When a few years ago when I had anxiety and panic attacks I was always afraid of any kind of disease - I had a a headache and thought that it's brain cancer. After I learnt to beat these irrational thoughts and could think clearly...

Xxx Sophie

• Posted

Hello Sophie

Please believe when I say it would be an extreeme condition that would take the use of your legs away. The brain would need a sudden horrific accident for your legs not to work fully. You are stll very young and I cannot see how something could effect you in such a calamity.

I do have problems with my legs, in my case it is to do with a rare form of small joint Arthritis and I still walk around and cannot see myself crumbled on the floor. Even though my Hips are affected as well. I have had this now for thirty years and hopefully with my restrictions my brain will still allow me to move my legs at sixty six years old.

To talk about a complete failure just does not happen like that, so stop worrying

You have people here who will always be around for you

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.