Fear of death

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm 21 years old and I've got this overwhelming fear of death that I can't stop thinking about. And I mean I'm scared about this every second of the day. I can't enjoy things because I'm not fully there in my mind because all I'm thinking about it the fact that I'm one day going to die. As well as his I can't bare the thought of losing loved ones. I feel like life is just every second closer to death. I can't come to terms with the fact that one day k won't b here. And these thoughts are constant at all times. I have very bad anxiety and this has taken over my life. I want to live normally. I've got an appointment for counselling but I'm scared I'll never be able to overcome this problem. It has made me suicidal. Has anybody else suffered with this and overcome this problem?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily, 

Everyone is afraid of death, even i am. But, what are you going to get about thinking about death every second of your life. Death is natural. No one wants to die early. I bet you arent either. I used to or still am scared of having a heart attack because i think i have heart problems. I got better at controlling it because thinking about it is not going to prevent it. Thinking about it is not going to stop it from happening. All we can really do is take care of ourselfs so it doesnt happen. In your case you are just scared of it. Do you know why you are scared of it? Is there a rational thought behind your thinking? Are you an overall healthy person? have you been checked by your GP? There is a good quote i always think about. Either you start living or your busy dying. So get busy living! dont let it control you. Suicide is not the answer. Maybe for you the pain will go away. But you will cause more pain to your friends and family. So suicide is not the answer never. You are loved and wanted. But your 21, so young, so much life ahead of you. Your letting this fear stop you from living life how its supposed to. Trust me ive been where youve been. For 2 months straight, i just went to work and came home and slept. Life was passsing by. I couldnt do anything because at home i felt safe. Safe from embarrasment safe from disaster. But im just causing myself more harm than good. Anxiety is not fun, but sad truth is we will always have it. We have to learn how to manage it. You are okay. You are not dying. 

• Posted

Absolutely wonderful post. Lately I have ben holeing myself up in my house. I have never done that before. I spend alot of time in my room sleeping etc not good. Wasteing my life. Anyway,for Emily..you are young,you may live a long wonderful healthy life. Id give anything to be your age again. Spend time with those you love. Tell them you love them. Make memories,call,dont text. Oh how I'd rather hear my sons voice then read a text. Point is,enjoy your family and enjoy your life! Hugs! Now tell me to do the same lol.

• Posted

Swaggdalu is right on target, so I will not repeat his excellent advice. I do want to assure you that what you are going through is very very common with anxiety. I am pleased to hear you are going to counseling. Be sure to let us know how you are doing and come back whenever you need a boost or an ear to listen, Emily.wink

• Posted

It is your anxiety that  is making you fixate on this. You are feeling gloom and doom. That's what a constant state of angst does. It keeps building till we have full blown panic. A councelor will not beable to perscribe meds to you. If you want to feel better,you better go to your family doctor and get on a antidepressant. When we feel like this,we think were checking out. I promise you that your not going anywhere,and will be here for many years. Please get on meds if you want to feel good again. 

• Posted

Are meds the best thing to do without trying counselling? thanks for the Advice
    • Posted

Frankly,counseling helped some but my counselor pretty much just listened to me talk. A general practicioner can also prescibe meds. If your in the U S. I guess insurance is also a huge factor,unfortunately counseling is not cheap. Xx
  • Posted

As to your question to Kimberly...I got on meds first, then just a few weeks of counseling. Without the peace the meds brought, counseling would not have done one bit of good for me. That is my experience, and the experience of two family members.
    • Posted

What if I'm ready to see someone without meds first? Is this all anxiety related then? Is it curable this fear

• Posted

Whenever we get any advice about anything, it is up to us to decide what to do with it. If you are more comfortable going to a counselor, honey, then go. If after a session or two you are getting what you need, and are seeing a difference, keep it up. If not, check out meds. Only you will know what works for you.

I have read here of people who have tackled it themselves, people whomm counseling helped, and those who started with meds. So yes, it can be done. Of the hundreds I have dialogued with, and hundreds more I have read, the way highest group who got a handle on anxiety started with meds.

To the question of is it curable...sometimes, according to those same people I mentioned above...to the majority, no. However, those on the right meds achieve a wonderful happy and fulfilled life. One of my sisters has been on meds for many years, and always will be.  Her life with home, kids, grandkids, and a business to run is full and joyful.

Dont' worry about the future. Don't waste one minute of today's time worrying about a future that isn't here yet. Focusing on right now is one of the things all of us here learn to do. Worrying about the future will bring anxiety to people who don't even have an anxiety problem.

Dear Emily, I hope this helps. Trust yourself and move forward. The very worst thing that can happen if you decide to go to counseling first, is...that you change your mind!!! And that ain't no big thing, sweatheart. So, action is the key word here. However you decide to go, I am most happy that you are acting! We are here whenever you need help or just someone to understand and encourage you. Let us know how it goes, please, Sending a big kiss on the cheek.wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.