fear of dying, anxiety causing panic, pls help

Posted , 72 users are following.

I'm suffering with this nearly everyday at the moment. Anxiety is causing me to have panic attacks most if not every day, I feel exhausted. I feel a constant chest pain, and if I move ie travel in a car or something it feels like somethings moving around inside my chest. Daily  though I get headaches, dizzyness, tingling hands, numbness, shortness of breath and general chest pain. I'm so scared im going to die with each and every feeling of panic. I've alalways thought/worried about dying since being little. But now with the anxiety I'm struggling every day with it. I feel so lost

11 likes, 131 replies

131 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Please dont misunderstand me.  I haven't had a miserable life at all, this has been on and off for years yes but I've had a good life. That is why I'm a fan of Citalopram, without medication I would have been, I'm sure, miserable for this long.  
  • Posted

Hi,

I get every thing you've described and more. I literally worry myself sick with the fear I am dying. I'm sorry you're going through this. It is the worst feeling. Message me anytime! I can't talk myself out of the bad thoughts when I'm having them and the worse I worry the worse my symptoms get and so on. It's a vicious cycle. You're not alone. Please reach out of you need to., is it okay if I message you sonetime too? 

• Posted

Hi Whitney thanks for messaging. It's awful,you don't want other people  to go through  what you go through but you're so greatful when you find people who understand what you are going through and share advice. It is definitely a vicious cycle and it's so hard to snap out of it. I used to try things like a puzzle or go for a walk when I felt panic coming on but it doesn't always work. Of course please do message me, this site is so good for helping each other
  • Posted

hi kerrianne just found this site i am going through a rough time of it worse anxiety have ever had, my biggest problem is fear of dying, has taken over my life have a lot of nausea and upset tummy thinking of reaching for the AD lot of good advice given out in discussion hope everybody gets better soon just want a quality of life thats fitting for the people we love round abouts us, hang in there (:
    • Posted

Thanks Kennyson. That my main thing too the ffear of dying. I know you can't stop it but I get so scared it's going to happen soon and it starts off a panic or the other way round the panic starts off the fears of dying. I can't win. I hope everyone gets better too, hopefully with the support of this site and loved ones we will all get there 
    • Posted

Hi Kerrianne and anyne else.

I suffer like all of you with an absolute fear of death and it has overtaken my life at the moment.

I am so sorry for you all and for myself.

I do not really know what happened it crept up behind me again.

• Posted

I am feeling very scared today a bad day i am so scared that I am going to die. Please help me.
    • Posted

I have a lot of palpitations and an irregualr heart rhythm which really frightens me. It worries me oore as I am now 62 yrs old and worried that my life is coming to an end.

I feel so scared and am having a bad day today.

Th intrsuive thoughts are there all day.

Thanks you so much for getting back to me. xx

• Posted

I get that a lot when I'm feeling anxious and I'm only 20. I can sometimes feel my heart beating in my neck and sometimes my whole body vibrates when I'm laid down. Have you tried regulating your breathing? This is the first thing I do. I think to myself 'ok, my heart beat is out of control, maybe if I slow down my breathing and regulate it, I will start to feel better and if after 10 minutes of breathing it doesn't get better, then I will worry and seek help.' I never have had to call for help after breathing bevause the palpitations Always calm down. Although at the time I do worry and think im going to die, but just got to think rationally. 

It's hard to think rationally when anxious, I know. I thought I was going to die because my foot ankle hurt - then I remembered I had been sat funny. It's horrible this anxiety but I hope you feel better and please do try the breathing I guarantee it works xx

• Posted

What are you currently feeling Christine? We've all been in the same boat. Try to relax and get all your current feelings out on here 
    • Posted

Christine so sorry to hear you're feeling like this.

I get the irregular heart rhythm feeling too, and constantly sit there checking my pulse. Just try to take some deep breath through your nose and out through your mouth, I try to count in my head while breathing in to a certain number like 7 then count to 7 breathing out. Or I try and distract myself by making a cuppa, walking even if it's round the lounge, or finding something on TV to comcentrate on...just a distraction of some sort. Suduko works best for me but I know it isn't always easy as sometimes none of the above  helps. Try and tell yourself you have felt like this before but got through it and you will again

I do hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thank you so much for your message.

I have been to see a cardiologist and hope that there is nothign wrong but it is scary because my brother died of heart problems at 55 yrs old.

I have been trying to get better becuase I am usually such a strong person.

I do appreciate you caring enough to respond Kerrianne it means a lot to me. xx

• Posted

Thank you Justineclarice for your response.

I have not had such a positive day today but every day is new isn't it.

I have been trying to practice the breathing and I know it works better than shallow breathing.

Thank you once again I do appreciate every response so much. xx

• Posted

Its very scary, especially if you have had experiences like that with your brother, so sorry to hear that. I worry about heart issues as my dad has had heart attacks.

I think it's natural when you feel panicky or having a bad day with fears and anxiety it automatically makes you think and fear the worst and relate it to experiences you have dealt with.

I try to relax as much as possible but everyday brings a challenge. I hope the doctors are right and I am actually ok but the symptoms are so real and scary.

Hopefully we can all find a way to get over this In the end

• Posted

I hope so too as I know that none of us really want to feel like this.

I will try to relax more than I have done depaite having thought that things were improving.

I hope that everything is OK for you too. 

It is lovely to speak with you.

• Posted

I find talking on here to other people reassuring just to know I'm not alone and to gain advice. 

Always here to listen

• Posted

Hi everyone just been reading through your posts I too suffer with the exact same symptoms which is heart palpitations, fast heart beat severe pain in my chest and hands and arms going tingly the lot I hate feeling this way I used to be a happy 22 year old but now since this im convinced all the time im going to die! Iv had tests done at hospital ecgs but im still convinced they is something wrong with my heart as I wasn't getting pain when I had the tests (they came back normal) why can't I just get it out of my head that nothing is wrong with me im so desperate to feel normal again its give me comfort knowing im not alone but still can't shake off feeling like this sad
    • Posted

I'm the same Laura,  doesn't matter how many tests and scans and doctors I've seen I just can't seem to get it in my head I am actually ok. I keep thinking the doctors must have missed something or like you I didn't have the pains when they were doing the tests

• Posted

Its horrendous isn't it kerrianne I hate feeling this way I'm currently laid in bed and feel like im going to stop breathing any moment hence the reason I have come on here to try and get some reassurance that its just anxiety but I can't get over how anxiety something that's in your mind can cause all these physical symptoms sad im trembling and the pain in my chest is getting worse im convinced each time I have this feeling its not anxiety this time it's going to be a heart attack sad I just want to cry as I say im 22  and I feel like there's no end as it just gets worse each time I have one there getting so frequent especially on a night time even more I just wish the pain wasn't near my heart I probably wouldn't think as much but I really can't see how this pain which is so real in my left chest is caused by anxiety sad thank you for replying kerrianne I hope we both get sorted soon x
    • Posted

Im just having such a bad time with it right now I feel sick to my stomach and the pain in my chest is unreal have you got any ideas or tips you could give me to help me right at this moment I would be so grateful
    • Posted

Night time is the worst for me...I don't sleep well at all as I have exactly all the thoughts and fears you're feeling now.  

I'm 28 and feEl all what you have described 

The things I try are to relax with breathing exercises.  Or try a puzzle, or put something on TV or watch on ur phone, or get up out of bed and go get a glass of water, just getting up or distracting yourself can help. 

Try and think you've been through these feelings before and got through it and you will again.

It's horrible I know, I'm about to go to bed and know it's likely it's all going to kick in.

I will be online for a bit if u need to keep talking 

• Posted

Hi laura I am in the same boat as you at the moment.

Thinking I am dying all the time, stroke, heart attack, caridac arrest.

This is the pits like you say and my usual happy personality is destroyed at the moment.

What I would give for this all to stop.

• Posted

Aww Christine its awful isn't it I think the best advice I can give out but unfortunately not take it myself is to reassure ourselves it is only anxiety and it will stop just focus on deep breathing and think positive I know its extremely hard because I cannot follow my simple advice either but I hope you find some comfort and reassurance from it and thank you kerrianne I appreciate it I just keep touching my heart area and because the pains there im so convinced its got to be my heart because why would the pain be there sad I never used to be like this and can't think what has caused me to have anxiety but I just wish they was a magic wand to make us all feel ourselves again.  Im here too if any of you need to talk take care and speak to you soon x
    • Posted

I have been feeling a little better for a few days but not today.

It is so nice to have messages from others and I hope that tomorrow is better than today.

I hope that it is for all of you here as well. xx

• Posted

It's very easy to give advice but it doesn't sink in when you try tell yourself does it? I'm so worried that there will never be any change but I don't want to live the rest of my life like this either.

I think that's the worrying thinthing Laura I get pain on the left too and you automatically think heart related issues. 

It's so scary how anxiety can take over and cause such real physical symptoms,  yet so hard to describe to someone who hasn't gone through it. My partner and mum are great but I do like coming on here because people truly understand

• Posted

Yeah I know exactly what you mean I just automatically think well left side it's to do with my heart I think because when I first started having panic attacks the amount of research I did and all my symptoms represented a heart attack its just basically stuck in my head and I can't seem to get it out as u say as well my partner and mum and dad are all great but don't actually understand the feelings we experience just see the physical side of us been in a state I really do hope we all overcome it soon were abouts in the uk are u Christine and Kerrianne? Im in Yorkshire is that any where near you both? X
    • Posted

Plus the symptoms are all so severe and real u can't help but think the worst sad
    • Posted

The trouble  is you automatically Google the symptoms but it comes up with all sorts!! When I first had anxiety years ago I printed off a load of stuff on anxiety and panic attacks and put it all in a little folder. I went through and highlighted all the bits that referred to what I felt...that used to be my nighttime read before bed and it just made me understand things a bit more..i still read it now when things get bad. I'm in Norfolk Laura so a bit of a way. I think family can feel a bit unsure of what to do and say if they haven't been through it themselves but you can't blame them.
    • Posted

Dose any one have this strong feeling like you are just going to dead and can breath properly and the body get weak any one see this please answer my is on the edge
    • Posted

Hi Laura. I'm Jessica was suffering from depression and loneliness . I overdosed on 10 mybulen pills four months ago. I have been to my doctor did two blood tests which were perfectly normal and my scan was normal. My doctor assured me I'm perfectly fine. But I still have fears everyday that I'm going to die soon. I have 2 young kids. The anxiety and fear of death is destroying me and my family. Doctor put me on Xanax 1.0mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.