Fear of health anxiety!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

Havent been on for a while...i have somehow managed to reduce the anxiety...however feel it isnt going completely...im 29, turning 30 only in 1 month...ive had 10months of medically diagnosed ibs causing pains in my stomach....not all the time bt enough and developed GERD, although starting to get control...now i knw im healthy, had bloods done recently, as many blood tests as i cud imagine along with urine test and heart test, all good...my doctor is not worried however the aches pains continue in the stomach...of course ibs doesnt go away with anxiety.....

Now, ive jst finished playing 2 hrs of football, fittest person on the field and yet my mind never rests....continuing to doubt my health...fear of illness is crazy! I knw at 30years old, bloods all goos, ensoscopy 7months ago all good, ultra sound scan 10months ago all good, i knw im good, bt does it ever go completely???

Need some advice....any tips???

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi g75183, everyone has anxiety without it we would be like a corpse. Its causes by adrenaline the fight or flight hormone. If you have got a high flying job with high demands on you to get thngs done on time, meet targets etc GERD is quite normal.I have helped many people over the years overcome their anxiety problems. With your anxiety every process in your body speeds up and causes phycical symptoms like IBS, heart rate, blood pressure, breathing and blood flooding to the large muscle groups. You feel sick because there is an over production of acid in the stomach.

The simple way to get rid of the excess adrenaline is Deep Muscle Relaxation. Controling your breathing and slowly tighten then relax the muscle groups in order. The first thing is breathing, a deep breath in through the nose and hold it for 2-3 seconds then allow the air to come out of your mouth very slowly.

Consentrate on doing that for a few days. Take time out for say 20 minutes and find a comfortable, very quiet place to sit or lie. Close your eyes and try to think of some nice place you have been that you would like to go back to. Clear your  mind of everytimg else and consentrate on the feeling of being back at that peaceful place. Breathe in through your nose and slowly let the air out through the mouth. Do this for about 20 minutes, as often as you can esspecially when you feel the anxiety coming on. Eventually you will be able to practise this standing up. Its a form of self hypnosis.

When you can do the breathing excersises you can then start to practice the deep muscle relaxation part of the therapy. You start with your hands and clench your hands into a fist and tighten the movement for 3-4 seconds then stop clenching the fists, at the same time control the breathing as before.

The breathing is a seperate thing but you do it at the same time as the muscle groups. You then move on to your forearms, your deltiod muscles, your shoulders pull them down towards your chest, your eyes (shut them tight), bring you head down to touch your shoulders whilst raising your shoulders to meet your head, grimase your mouth and pull it tight, moving on to your chest muscles, your tummy muscles, your hip muscles, your thigh muscles your calf muscles and then your feet and toes.

Once you have done all of the muscle groups in your body just sit or lie in that position and feel the stresses flow out. You will find that with practice you will feel a warm glow inside and you may fall asleep. Its a great feeling, I have been relaxing in this way for over 50 years.If you have an ipod or mobile phone download some calming music for relaxation there's lots out there and use it on a soft tone at the same time. Best regards Peter.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply sounds very helpful, will be taking up these techniques!
  • Posted

Hi g75183, everyone has anxiety without it we would be like a corpse. Its causes by adrenaline the fight or flight hormone. If you have got a high flying job with high demands on you to get thngs done on time, meet targets etc GERD is quite normal.I have helped many people over the years overcome their anxiety problems. With your anxiety every process in your body speeds up and causes phycical symptoms like IBS, heart rate, blood pressure, breathing and blood flooding to the large muscle groups. You feel sick because there is an over production of acid in the stomach.

The simple way to get rid of the excess adrenaline is Deep Muscle Relaxation. Controling your breathing and slowly tighten then relax the muscle groups in order. The first thing is breathing, a deep breath in through the nose and hold it for 2-3 seconds then allow the air to come out of your mouth very slowly.

Consentrate on doing that for a few days. Take time out for say 20 minutes and find a comfortable, very quiet place to sit or lie. Close your eyes and try to think of some nice place you have been that you would like to go back to. Clear your  mind of everytimg else and consentrate on the feeling of being back at that peaceful place. Breathe in through your nose and slowly let the air out through the mouth. Do this for about 20 minutes, as often as you can especially when you feel the anxiety coming on. Eventually you will be able to practise this standing up. Its a form of self hypnosis.

When you can do the breathing excersises you can then start to practice the deep muscle relaxation part of the therapy. You start with your hands and clench your hands into a fist and tighten the movement for 3-4 seconds then stop clenching the fists, at the same time control the breathing as before.

The breathing is a seperate thing but you do it at the same time as the muscle groups. You then move on to your forearms, your deltiod muscles, your shoulders pull them down towards your chest, your eyes (shut them tight), bring you head down to touch your shoulders whilst raising your shoulders to meet your head, grimase your mouth and pull it tight, moving on to your chest muscles, your tummy muscles, your hip muscles, your thigh muscles your calf muscles and then your feet and toes.

Once you have done all of the muscle groups in your body just sit or lie in that position and feel the stresses flow out. You will find that with practice you will feel a warm glow inside and you may fall asleep. Its a great feeling, I have been relaxing in this way for over 50 years.If you have an ipod or mobile phone download some calming music for relaxation there's lots out there and use it on a soft tone at the same time. Best regards Peter.

• Posted

Sorry you have got double the work to do. I must have clicked the post twice.cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.