Fearing re-prolapsing- am I the only one?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 12 days post op for a rectocele repair. I'm feeling pretty good but am I the only one who fears they are reprolapsing? I know it's probably just lingering swelling but I get this heavy feeling when I stand for too long and when I had a bowel movement this morning I swear I felt bulging. Has anyone reprolapsed after surgery? I don't go for my postop check for 5 more weeks. Advice on how to calm my fears?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

I think we all dread reprolapsing. You will have swelling for a long time yet.

The heavy feeling when you stand for too long is your body telling you when you have overdone things so maybe not stand for so long next time.

You have too take any progress really slowly and just a little bit at a time to avoid overdoing things; recovery takes many months.

Please be very careful and just try and enjoy some time out relaxing.

I know it is very frustrating but you don't want to undo surgeons good work so listen to your body and try not to worry you have just had major surgery and although they send us home we are still meant to be doing very little for the first 6 weeks around then your repair will start to pull tight and stitches will loosen.

My swelling did not go down completely till around 12 weeks and even now at 7 months post op I still feel it if I overdo things!

Take care, it's early days and still need to rest most of the day.

Phyl x?

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. What does it feel like when your stitches tighten?
    • Posted

Hi Lynn,

Just got your post, as stitches tighten you get a little uncomfortable and a bit nippy. Usually by then you are a little more mobile, pottering about doing some light dusting but no bending, and going for a couple of short walks during the day around 15/20 mins each.

If you are overdoing things you get that heavy feeling internally like something dragging down, so listen to your own body as we all heal at different rate and some of us may be a little quicker while others a little slower.

Matron always use to say if you are in pain your not healing, so needing to rest. So if you overdo things then have a day with feet up and do nothing.

Phyl x☺

• Posted

Hallo!   Just read here about stitches tightening and I have heard it can get a bit painful......I am now 4 weeks and 4 days and have felt rather 'gripes in the tummy' pain and achey.  I have resorted to paracetamol.  From what I have read, around 5 weeks is the time for this to happen?

• Posted

I'm three and a half weeks post op and it's still a bit swollen , I put a post on last week feeling like I had RE prolapsed, but mine doesn't feel as bulgey and draggy this week. Hopefully yours will calm down also. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks I hope so too smile glad your feelings have gotten better!

• Posted

Hi Kate

Uv mentioned that u felt a bulge after surgery, I had a cystocele and rectocele repair 7 days ago. I'm really upset and worried that the repair hasn't worked cz I feel a heavy dragging and can visibly see a bulge that looks very similar to before. I'm not due for a follow up for several weeks. I'm not bleeding any more and feel slight pain down there with lower back ache. From ur experience, do u think this could just be swelling? Tia x

• Posted

At seven days post op mine was still very swollen so it did feel likes massive bulge, this has gone down considerably now I'm at week four post op. I still feel there's congestion there when I have a full bowel, but I'm hoping when I've had my six week check, and I can reinstate the pelvic floor excersises this will improve. Try not to worry too much, try not to get constipated. I bathed my stitches with a few drops of lavender and tea tree oil mixed with milk in warm water , that gave great relief. Good luck and as many others on here have said , rest,rest and more rest

• Posted

Hi Lynn

I'm 8 days post op - quite severe prolapses and a perineum rebuild. I felt like I was re-prolapsing when I had the first BM and still worry that I've somehow managed to ruin it. After reasoning and reading lots on this forum I think it's probably just swelling and bruising. If you are worried and have an experienced GP you could always ask them to have a look and see if it's healing as per the norm. I did ask my surgeon if I could burst my stitches by going to the toilet and he said I'd be his first patient to ever manage it as the stitches are deliberately strong. Keep resting and try not to worry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.