Fed Up!

Posted , 11 users are following.

So some of you will have seen my posts previously.

I had anterior and prosterior repair done 2nd Dec 2016 following hysterectomy Nov 2015.

so I'm nearly 4 months post op and I have felt since the first time we tried to have intercourse that things were not right.

I was discharged and that day was told we could start intercourse.  We have been trying for weeks but it's just ridiculous.  We are both pretty sure now that we have a brick wall again only now we have the smallest, tightest entrance to get through that it's an impossibility.  I'm currently going through some major stress as my mums really poorly so have not been to gp yet.

please tell me there is hope.  Thanks

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes people have issues with tight pelvic floor muscles after surgery (or even without surgery).  It can make penetrative sex impossible until addressed.  Pelvic floor physical therapy can help.  They massage trigger points and also teach you how to do pelvic floor relaxation exercises.   If the problem is the muscles being in spasm, it can be fixed.  I can post a link to an article about it if you are interested.
    • Posted

Not a problem.  It is an article from a pelvic floor physical therapy blog I read sometimes.    It's by a pelvic floor PT.  The woman that it is about didn't have surgery, but you don't have to have surgery to have pelvic floor issues.  I hope it helps!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Emma, I also had anterior and posterior repair (9th  Jan 2017) following hysterectomy (August 2015) so I'm just under 3 months post op and we have tried intercourse and been successful so don't despair. The first time was 2 weeks ago and we took it really slowly and not to long and everything was fine just a bit tender for awhile.The 2nd time was much easier even though it did feel tender again for a few days after. My urogynecologist had told me to test the "function" as he calls it at 4 weeks but I was not ready at all, still had stitches, so I waited to see my gyne 2 months post op and got the go ahead. He suggested that I use baby oil if necessary because the stress can cause dryness and make us even more tense.I didn't need it but maybe it can help. So you see there is hope, the function functions and according to my husband it even looks better than when I was young :-))))

• Posted

Tam it's not a case of taking it slowly we did but intercourse is actually physically impossible, it's really bad

• Posted

Please don't use baby oil, there made for purpose lubricants that will help if there is dryness without risk of irritation. 

Also so depending on your age it may be that the dryness could related to perimenopausal symptoms. I was started on oestrogel cream prior to my op and has made a positive difference for me. I am mid 40s.

• Posted

I really hope that you get everything sorted out quickly, do go back to your doctor as soon as possible, good luck and wishing you all the best
    • Posted

Thank you I will be going go as soon as my mum is out of hospital and doing ok
    • Posted

I too have had painful intercourse. Six weeks ago I returned to the doctor because I had tryed every thing they asked me to. I had a 2nd surgery for some vaginal growths. The first surgery was 15 months ago for pelvic organ prolapse. I had a hysterectory, anterior and posterior repair,enterocele repair and bladder repair. I did physical therapy and used rods to enlarge the opening after my 1st surgery. This time around I have now been on premarin for 6 weeks. I have a follow up appointment Friday. I still have discomfort in my groin area. I also have an consultation with a different PT. From my understanding, the doctor thinks my body does not know how to relax. And I am getting a device to help with that. Not totally sure exactly how it works but doctor says it will work. He also has mentioned a "pill" that I might need to take. There it is in a nut shell. I will return and report.

• Posted

I'm curious about the device that helps you relax.  I haven't heard of that before.  Please share when you have more information.

oh, the pills may be a muscle relaxant.  There may be other things that help, but I know muscle relaxants are sometimes used.

• Posted

hi emma im 8 months post op and intercourse is eally painful for me to im seeing my consultant again in april. I will keep you updated with what they tell me ok x
  • Posted

Hi emma your story is almost identical to mine i had repair surgeries done last november after having a hysterectomy the year before. I also had my perineum reconstructed and was told by my surgeon it may be very tight down there.

We wasnt brace enough to try untill 12 weeks post op and it was horrendous! Upon advice from other ladies on this site the next time we tried we had a few sneaky drinks and bought some lube. Well that didnt work either because we laughed so much at having to use lube at such a young age (im 38) that the moment was gone if you know what i mean 😂.

Anyway almost 5 months on we did the deed with plenty of lube and sober and all was good. Ok we were still nervous and took things very very very slow lol but we have a sex life once again yay!

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on!

Brie x

Haha that sounds pervy asking you to let us know how you get on but you know what i mean!

• Posted

If it is absolutely impossible for you to have intercourse you should see your GP and ask for a referral back to your urogynaecologist. There are reasons why you may be finding it impossible and this can be addressed. Sometimes stress can make things worse as well but seek medical advice.
  • Posted

Brings back to me how my Urogynae said down at theatre entrance that he would just do anterior repair and not both as "you can end up too tight down there"!!! You had a lot done over short time frame. But you really need to see Urogynae again. Would be good to see the one who operated!! Hope it can be resolved. Did they discuss possible tightness issues pre-op?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.