Fed up

Posted , 2 users are following.

[b:2e2a18bb38]I have been back to the hospital to see another consultant and yet again I have been fobbed off but this time insulted as well!!! I was told that I am young enough to live with this condition,there is no quick fix for me and the only way I might get rid of my symptoms is if I lose about 7st and look like Kylie, bearing in mind I have already lost 7st.So to cut a long story short they are not going to do anything for me until I am around 50,which is another 12 years away!!!!! [/b:2e2a18bb38]

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Theyre sooo kind :roll: Ask your GP for a few weeks of [b:f5397dea1c]Omeprazole[/b:f5397dea1c] smile
  • Posted

Dr Spock,

Thank you for the advice but I have tried Omperazole and every other drug known to man for this condition,so much so that my doctor is at a loss what to give me now. This doctor was suppose to tell my doctor his diagnosis and find a suitable medication to put me on. I have lived with this for 20 years,well I guess another 12 wont matter will it :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Posted

Yes another 12 years will matter if the result is that you end up with terrible oesophageal ulcers sad Theyve had a look down there have they? They cant find anything? smile
  • Posted

I have had 4 camera tests,a barium meal,a manotery test and all have come up normal.Im showing all the symptoms but when I go to have the tests nothing is showing up. Been back to the docs yesterday after having a really bad cold and not being able to breathe or swallow properly.She has put me back on Nexium and is monitoring it for the next month :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Posted

Oh Im sorry to hear about the tests and the cold sad Yeah your symptoms are a real head scratcher for you and the docs sad Are you suffering terribly / often with reflux (chokeing or ?) or is it a little better / worse than that? How long after a meal does reflux start? You are avoiding fatty foods? Do you like alot of sweets (cant stop at 1 or 2 jelly babies, eat the whole pack)? smile

Believe me I know exactly how it feels and its grotty to say the least, its not to be confused with a little heartburn :cry:

• Posted

Yes at the moment I am not having a good time of it but I am dealing with it best I can.I have had worst moments than this in the past but I just have to keep my chin up because on my worst days my doc has given my anti-depressants to lift my mood,which I have not taken yet but there has been times when I have felt like taking them. The reflux at the moment is a pain due to the cold and flu symptoms I have/had of late and it is constant,as for the fatty foods I dont have them a lot because of a diet I have been on but I do have the odd occasional curry (which I love but suffer for the next day) I only eat low fat foods now but the thing that is really annoying me is I go to the gym and after 20 mins on a x-trainer I am fighting for my breath. Before I had my gall bladder out I could do 80 mins on a x-trainer and still not be out of breath.I cant understand how the doc expects me to lose weight when I cant work out properly without feeling like I have run a marathon after a short period of time :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry for the rant I am just feeling a bit under the weather sad sad sad

• Posted

Its good to hear you havent bothered with the anti-depressants, they are hardly going to stop the reflux (stress may trigger some but) :roll:

Breathing difficulties since, hmm Im just wondering whether any scar material from your gall bladder removal could have stuck onto your diaphragm (or its connective tissues) thus lowering your volume / function on that side, does it still hurt, if so any connection to breathing? smile

What are you hoping theyll do about the reflux? Tighten the lower oesophageal sphincter, pyloric sphincter or ? smile

Hehe dont worry about the ranting we all do it around here, the sick, ill and infirm are allowed to rant :D

• Posted

Well on my last visit to my local hospital I got to see an alternative doc and quite frankly they are going to do nothing because he feels surgery wouldnt benefit me he just feels that I should soldier on feeling like crap on a day to day basis. For the breathing difficulties I have been put back on Nexium 40mg but I havent been able to get the benefit/or not because of the returning cold I have that just wont go away.I am fed up with going back to my gp (who has been wonderful) on a monthly basis telling him about my symptoms and I feel like I have hit a brick wall so since I went to see the consultant I havent bothered going back to see my gp because I feel it will be a waste of my time and my gp's time.At the moment my tummy is behaving itself but I still have the feeling of something lodged in the back of my throat and a difficulty in swallowing which is really getting on my nerve,also my glands are up but that could be due to the cold.I have recently found out that one of my friends at the gym has developed the same symptoms and a lot of what I am saying to him he can identify with but I dont think his condition is as bad as mine.My doctor recommends that if I lose weight that it [u:502d0c89c1]might[/u:502d0c89c1] cure the condition but my friend is a very fit athlete that looks after himself,so basically I think the doctor doesnt want or cant be bothered to do anything about it but in the meantime I get no answers and I feel like crap. Great NHS!!! Lost all faith in it now :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • Posted

Loosing weight is one of the few treatments for reflux supported by clinical evidence :?

Nexium is a PPI (just like Omeprazole) but your reflux isnt stomach acid at all, (imho) its vile pancreatic juices :?, but hopefully itll still take a little edge off smile

So you suffer from intestinal hypermotility (bad tummy) eh, not suprising considering your pancreas is contantly dribbling juice :? If it gets worse / cramping ask your GP for some Merbentyl, I was amazed by its effect, though its not so brilliant nowadays its still OKish smile

Yes the NHS has changed a great deal,, the best / fastest way to get anything done is to become acute, yep its perverse :D

• Posted

[b:4d41d5f9e5]Dear Dr Spock,

Just wanted to say that i also suffer from acid reflux (bile reflux), and have done for the past year or so, problem is, i also have multiple gallstones, when i went to visit my surgeon he said \"i cant promise you that your pain will go away after youve had your operation, as i cant tell whether your pain is caused by your gallstones or acid reflux\". I swear to god, when i heard that, i nearly died! i thought almost all my pain was caused by my gallstones, only to find im battling both problems together every single day! Now the question is, when my gallbladders taken out, what will help me with my acid reflux problems if they dont subside? :? :? Anyone with both the symptoms i have? sad sad sad sad

[/b:4d41d5f9e5]

• Posted

In most cases the pain improves smile

If you have your gallbladder removed, take Omeprazole or similar and you still have acid or vile soap flavoured reflux then theres not much that can be done sad

You may get offered surgery but depending on which reflux you are suffering from it may make very little difference or long term cause more problems that it cured :?

Ive had my gallbladder removed and I take 40mg of Omeprazole a day, I rarely have any sort of reflux now :D

• Posted

[b:67a16f39b4]Hi!

Just wanted to ask, did you have recurring acid reflux problems before they removed your gallbladder? i really need to know because my sister said she had exactly the same symptoms as me, but after she had her gallbladder removed the symptoms all went away, i was told most of the problems were caused because of the the multiple gallstones? I do hope it is, unfortunately my surgeon is going on holiday and i have to wait until february till he gets back for my operation, cant understand why his collegue kept saying \"It may not make any difference at all\"! Miserable little thing he was! :evil: :evil: :evil: thanks for the reply anyway, much appreciated! :D :D :D [/b:67a16f39b4]

• Posted

Hmm thats a long time to wait :? Yes I was full of horrible reflux, technically this other doctor is right, in some cases it can make very little difference :? If I stopped taking Omeprazole Id be back on the reflux after every meal regardless of what it is :oops: sad

I had a bit over the holiday period but it was my own fault,, I should have avoided the cheesy quavers :lol:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.