Fed up

Posted , 6 users are following.

Omg I have had enough now in July 2016 I had an emergency operation to remove my gallbladder which resulted in me being admitted to intensive care. So it's been 9 months and I'm still getting cramps, I've got to be so careful as some food causes diarrhoea last weekend I had salmon for dinner and all night I had the runs and was sick for a solid 4 hours. Tonight all I've eaten is a lamb dinner and some chocolate as it's Easter and I have really bad stomach cramps and I can't stop going to the toilet, I've had enough I have a huge scar across my stomach which I'm trying to get used too I had my kidney removed last year as well. But I can't live like this I thought as soon as the gallbladder was removed you could eat wat u want and the stomach cramps would stop. Does anyone else have this trouble

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

1. For the first few days after surgery, stick with clear liquids, broths and gelatin. After that, gradually add more solid foods back into your diet.

2. Avoid fried foods, high-fat foods, foods with strong odors and gas-causing foods. You should also stick to small, frequent meals.

3. Eating the wrong things after gallbladder surgery can induce pain, bloating and diarrhea. To side-step this gastrointestinal discomfort, avoid eating high-fat or spicy foods.

4. Take it slowly as you reintroduce high-fiber foods

Consider adding these gas-producing foods back into your diet slowly:

Whole-grain bread

Nuts

Legumes

Seeds

Brussels sprouts

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Cabbage

Cereal

Slowly add small amounts of foods back into your diet. Re-introducing things too quickly can lead to diarrhea, cramping and bloating.

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  Rocky's advice was spot on.  Some people can eat whatever they want after gallbladder removal, but others do encounter difficulties if they don't modify their diet or the way that they eat.  

In addition to what Rocky said, some people find that they need to limit their consumption of dairy, fat, caffine and alcohol.  It's different for everyone, but usually, after some experimentation one can find a diet that they can live with.  

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry you're still having problems after surgery. I only had surgery nearly 7 weeks ago and I'm still having alot of pain but they believe mine is due to the sphincter of oddi dysfunction and I'm still waiting to go back to the consultant.

I know from everything that I've read that diarrhoea can be a problem after surgery. But your doctor should be able to help you with that. What does your doctor say, have they referred you for more tests as you shouldn't be having pain like this.

Let me know how you get on. Take care x

• Posted

Hi Lynda, thanks for asking.

Its been a busy weekend with family coming over unfortunately the pain hasn't subsided at all if anything its worse at the moment. I managed to go into work for a couple of hours but I'm back home now resting. I don't understand why but its always bad in the mornings and today was no exception. I wish I understood what actually aggravates it and then I can avoid it. 

It was lovely to see everyone at easter but it is hard work when you're catering for everyone. My husband is very good he does alot of cooking but its all the other things that you need to do.

How are you? 

xx

• Posted

I'm sorry to learn that your pain is worse. Usually, I start out the mornings groggy, because my nights are restless.  Once in a while I'll take a carefully rationed (by me) tranquilizer prescribed by my doctor, so I can get an uninterrupted night's sleep.  I usually wake up feeling more or less okay.  B

ut after I have breakfast, which is usually pretty simple, my body reacts with nausea and sometimes overactive bowels. I've switched the calcium supplement I had been taking to one containing calcium carbonate and vitamin d.  (I had been having problems with needing to urinate 3-4 times a night, and now I realize it was all the vitamin d I was taking.) So, the calcium has got me somewhat constipated and it's great! smile

At any rate, I think that the reason I'm worse in the morning is that my body's starting up again from sleep.  I seem to feel better in the afternoons as far as digestion goes.  But after about 3 then my other stuff takes over--the adhesions start aching.  I try to power through it, but some times I can't.  

Since I had my surgery last year, I find myself with lots of anxiety any time my body seems to "act up."  

See, you had to ask!  smile xx 

• Posted

you've been like this alot longer than me unfortunately. 

Yes I find sleep really difficult too, hence why I'm so tired during the day. I went to my gp but because of the meds I'm already on he couldn't give me the sleeping pills he wanted to. I'm hoping when I go to the pain clinic they'll be able to sort me out with something else.

Its a nightmare isn't it, its so debilitating and you try to get on with life but I find that I have low energy levels so I can only do little things. I have managed to do some bits and pieces in the garden as thats my relaxation.

Are you seeing a consultant still or are you trying to cope on your own?

xx

• Posted

Well...I agree it's hard to get on with life when you can't predict how you'll feel in 20 minutes, let alone an hour.  Fortunately, my husband has joined a few groups to give him all the hiking, walking, etc. that he craves and regularly works out at a gym.  I can't be relied on for much recreation, except for the occasional movie or meal at a restaurant.  

I rely on herbs to sleep mostly--and a couple of other things for sleep, but I don't know that they wouldn't interfere with your meds.  I use a tranquilizer for sleep because sleep meds can be wicked addictive. I take 1/2 a dose say once or twice a week when I'm really exhausted.  I have a scrip for 15 every 2 months.  Fortunately I'm not in a lot of pain--just nagging discomfort.   

Because of my ongoing medical conditions I see an endocrinologist, gastroentrologist and surgeon/oncologist as well as my new gp (just switched--like him lots). I see the endo and surgeon regularly, every few months and the gastro for colonoscopies every 5 years (just had one) and whenever I have issues.

My husband helped me in the garden this weekend--it was lovely.  My roses are starting to bloom and my peonies will start any moment.  Being in my garden fills me with peace and hope.  xxx   

• Posted

Yes I agree, the garden is my haven. I've been sowing lots of seeds for flowers and veg over the past few weeks. My fruit trees are just coming out in bloom which I find delightful. I have a crab apple tree close to my kitchen window and its covered in blossom at the moment and then when the fruit arrives I get a blackbird picking the ripest of fruit and I can have the rest so I can make crab apple jelly. My camellia's are out at the moment, its still a bit early for roses here. I have a peony but it hasn't flowered before, unfortunately we had to move it when we bought the property as I wanted a bigger area for plants and we had massive garden renovations to do.

I just planted a rose at the weekend and I've got another to find a home for, we were given it for our 25th wedding anniversary at the end of last year.

Its not easy is it when it seems to be one thing after another but you do tend to soldier on and learn to deal with it the best you can, as I think its a case of having too, to put some form of normality into your life.

xx

• Posted

Hi Katherine,

Your garden sounds delightful!  I'm sure you find much solace in it.  Sorry I didn't get back to you immediately--I had an appointment and then ran errands with my husband this afternoon.  

When I was younger (much younger, I'm afraid) I was often bored with "normality."  Now, I embrace it as much as I can--I'll never take it for granted again. xx

• Posted

Thats ok, I had to go out too.

Yes I do, I've still got lots to do in the garden as I find its a work in progress as I find new plants that I want to try.

I'd love to do the normal stuff without wondering if its going to cause me pain or if I'll have the energy to finish it, one day I hope.

xx

• Posted

I am truly so very sorry to read of your problem.  I do not have what you are experiencing but just from reading your issues I note that you have not eliminated

FAT.. from your diet..such as chocolate...I personally have had 2 cancers now in remission (thru surgeries and chemo) and a 3rd cancer that is not curable. and an attack of gall bladder for the first time.  I went to the hospital since I thought i was having a heart attack..after a C-scan in the ER and an overnight with a heart monitor it is gall bladder with a large stone.  I was advised to have immediate surgery but I am a poort candidate due to my 3type cancer..so I read every label on foods and goggled up everything that does not have info on the food and have stayed away from ALL FATS...including red meats etc.  I drink water and eat saltines and fill in the rest with fruits and fresh veggies. i do pass lots of gas (embarrassing) but that is it.   I will add you to my prayers that you find a solution..Good luck...truly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.