Fed up with ibs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 20 years old and I'm fed up with ibs D. I have suffered since I was around 15/16 and symptoms have gradually got worse over the years. There's no point wasting my time taking the buscopan or mebervine the dr suggests as it doesn't help me, after repeatedly going back with the same symptoms and a look at my family history (my dad has ulcerative colitis) I was referred for a colonoscopy, had this December 2016 everything came back normal and was told I have a healthy bowel. I don't necessarily have any triggers as such but I have noticed the past few months anxiety has been a big issue for me, but I'm anxious about my ibs flaring up, the more I think about it the more it happens. I've resulted in taking loperamide hydrochloride to stop myself going to the toilet completely when the pain and poop urges come. Does anybody else suffer with anxiety triggers and what helps them and if I went back to the doctors would they prescribe anything for anxiety? Also I am trying to find a way that I could possibly work from home or freelance so that I'm relaxed and free to use the toilet when I need to (the toilet at work isn't so private) just wondering what types of jobs are recommended for ibs D sufferers as I can't carry on like this for the rest of my life....

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Holly,

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Your story sounds very familiar, I also found none of the drugs worked for me and due to the constant anxiety I thought about asking for something to help me stay calm. Have you tried the FODMAP diet? I've been on this for 4 weeks now following the gluten free version and have noticed a huge improvement. Less bloating, pain, gas and less hectic bowel movements which was a daily occurrence before. I've also found my anxiety levels have dropped as a result (though I do stuff suffer from work stress), from my experience its a viscious circle where one stress stimulates another and so on so it's more important to achieve a balance. Like you I also thought about changing my job as I travel daily for work. Before doing something drastic speak to your employer honestly about what's going on, I've had incredible support and flexibility to work from home on occasion. Preparation is also key and I'm finding it easier if i plan meals for the day in advance.

Alex smile

• Posted

The Low Fodmap diet has helped me enormously. Amitryptiline also helps a great deal with  managing the aches and pains associated with IBS  and reducing anxiety. 

Jan

• Posted

Since you have anxiety issues you need to look into meditation, CBT etc. Meds etc for IBS aren't going to help as the problem is your stress levels not your bowels. Antidepressants can help with anxiety but it depends if you want to go down that route.

• Posted

I have stress related IBS.  Try distraction techniques such as light exercise and a hobby to help you to forget about your stomach.  Anxiety meds can cause side effects so try distraction techniques first,  I do this and it works me.  I try to keep off prescription meds as much as possible.  Maybe working from home might suit you better.  In the meantime, tell your boss about your IBS so adjustments can be made for you.
  • Posted

I had a similar problem and realized I was lactose intolerant including cheese.  After I got that under control with no butter, ice cream, milk, etc.  I was terrible ill with diarrhea and it was caused by Sucralose (Splenda)   Whenever I have any drinks, cookies or food considered DIET it usually contains an artificial sugar that really is a laxative to me.  

I hope this helps with your problems.  I still have my occurences once in awhile, but it is usually because I ate something that I shouldn't have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.